• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MSD Blaster SS coil - where to mount

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a complete MSD setup coming that I just purchased and was curious about the length of the coil wire. It seems to me this coil will have to be mounted off the engine, maybe behind the battery on the passenger side? Anyone else using one of these?

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
Yes I've got one...mine is mounted on a bracket coming off the side of the drivers inner fender well, in front of the power brake booster and master cylinder. I will attach a pic of my engine bay, and hopefully you can see the red coil on the right! :)

Jim

Attachments

• Blaster coil2.JPG
    Blaster coil2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 73

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I mounted mine in the inner wheel well behind the starter solenoid and battery. Hopefully the picture shows it OK for you.

Attachments

• BR71.JPG
    BR71.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
rcmbronc said:
I mounted mine in the inner wheel well behind the starter solenoid and battery. Hopefully the picture shows it OK for you.

That's where I was wanting to mount mine, but I was worried about the length of the coil wire. You answered my question. Thanks.
That is a nice looking engine compartment.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
red67 said:
What is the advantage of the "SS" coil versus their Blaster 2 coil? ?:?

I emailed MSD and told them what I was running and asked what MSD combination would work best for me. I am running Edelbrock performer cam, intake, 500 cfm carb, Headers from James Duff, dual Flowmaster super 40's, and a carter electric fuel pump on a 302.

They recommended the Ford Street Pro-Billet distributor - Part# 8479, 6A Ignition Controller - Part# 6200, and the Blaster SS Coil - Part# 8207.

I have purchased all of these parts and just waiting on MSD stuff to start installing.

My cousin runs a drag car - Nova with a 454,etc....
HE suggested asking MSD, said they have always helped him with very positive results.

Bronco71

Loc.
Farmers Branch, TX
I mounted mine next to solenoid also. (pic in my gallery) 5.0 Mustangs were mounted on fenderwell stock from factory. If you put it on drivers side be sure to have enough slack in the wire to compensate for engine torque! And it is best to run it seperate from other wires and not bundle it with them!