• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

muffler question : )

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
hey-

I need to order two mufflers to replace the flowmasters that came on my truck- ( yeh yeh- call me crazy- but i don't want my truck to be that LOUD) it sets off car alarms for goodness sake- I just don't want THAT kind of attention..
Um- so wahere can I find mufflers of that same quality ( won't rust out) that are quieter?

And knowing what I am looking for- has anyone any suggestions??
thanks in advance

Kudos to the Gods AND the newbies

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
get a nice set of turbos. Or call a reputable shop and ask tell them what you want and then listen to what they recomend ;)

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
my flowmasters arent all that loud, and mine are dumped, and have hookman headers. But it just might be me

OP
OP

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
[quote author=77BroncoWag link=board=5;threadid=21097;start=0#msg162538 date=1061179294]
get a nice set of turbos. Or call a reputable shop and ask tell them what you want and then listen to what they recomend ;)
[/quote]

turbos? what brand? do they rust out? are they solidly built like fm's? are they QUIETTTTTT????
see - i don't want just any 25 $ muffler from pep boys- I want something niccce AND quiet...

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
[quote author=73EXP link=board=5;threadid=21097;start=0#msg162535 date=1061178950]
...it sets off car alarms for goodness sake- I just don't want THAT kind of attention..
[/quote]
Don't want to call attention to yourself? Get a Camry. You could try a cheaper alternative by simply having catalytic converters put on. They will lower the sound output significantly and you will still have the Flowmaster sound, but quieter. Plus it puts less toxins in the air in case you happen to be a hippie...

Dawg_enD

I've got Flowmaster Deltas and they are nice. Loud enough to sound nice, but not obnoxiously so.

Flowmaster makes a few different mufflers and multiple lengths. The longer ones are quieter. If you liked the Flowmaster but just want something quieter maybe you should see if a longer one can be stuffed under your rig.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Alot of Bronco folk like Dynamax muffleres. Similar to flowmasters but a little more civilized. It's been said they don't sound so much like a boat as the Flows, less "Burbbley."

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
as was said, flowmasters come in different series-40's,50's....magnaflow is another option. Both companys have web sites with sound bites on their different mufflers to help with your selection and level of sound/rumble.

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Swap out your existing mufflers with some Flowmaster Delta flow 50-series and I guarantee you that they'll be much quieter. 8)

TrailDawg

Loc.
Lima, OH
My guess is your old Flowmasters ar 40 Series. I have one of Flowmaster's cat-back kits on my F150 that has a 50 Series muffler in it and its almost as quiet as stock going down the highway. The 50 Series will give you a tastefull deep rumble under hard acceleration, but at all other times has a nice mellow sound to it.

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
"Plus it puts less toxins in the air in case you happen to be a hippie... "

LOL!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

ABurns

Loc.
Vancouver WA
This is rather funny. This afternoon I'm replacing my 50 series deltaflows with good old obnoxious 40 series. The 50's have that Flowmaster sound but are MUCH quieter and have basically no interior resonance. You must have 40's, the 50's are a mild good sounding muffler. I had no tail pipe, just turn-downs and it was fairly quiet, with tail pipes they would be even quieter.

I must be reverting in age... I'm 32 and want it louder?? ;D

G

73 EXP --- I wrote you the other day, I'm Chris from Roanoke, VA. Anyway, I have a set of DYNOMAX Ultra Flow Round 6" STAINLESS STEEL mufflers and they sound great............not too loud, not too soft but just right. I used to have glasspacks---ouch ! I never tried Flowmaster but I do hear they are nice. If you decide to go with the Dynomax brand, go to your local ADVANCE AUTO PARTS (AdvanceAutoParts.com) and ask for the Ultra Flow Stainless Steel series. If they act like they don't know what you're talking about.....give me a write and I'll get you the part number and SKU number.

Thanks.