• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Muffler Question

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
I need advice on purchasing mufflers on my 76. It has a 302 with a 280 crower cam, edelbrock 600 carb on top of a torker II with chevy 202 valves in the heads. No headers but I've been running glasspacks for years. The muffler shop guy said to put flowmaster 40 series on it. I checked on their website and there were several 40 series with different sounds. What is the best for my bronc? thanks.

Fishmanndotcom

Loc.
senoia, GA
if you are looking for sound flowmasters are decent, but in the flow performance they are horrible.

try for something that will flow free and usually they will sound good but with good performace

i am running a stock muffler off my 96 F350 powerstroke diesel.... it is a straight through design but has a lot of stuff around the sides to help muffle the sound. I love it and would recommend doing it

all just depends on what you are looking for

-cutts-

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have dual flowmaster super 40's on mine. I found them on ebay well below what others were selling for is the reason I have them. I have no complaints other than after a year they seem a hell of a lot louder.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Look into Spintech thats what i'm running on my 2 into 1 they flow very free and have a unique sound. there are sound file on their website
www.spintechmufflers.com

Attachments

• Front tacked lr.jpg
    Front tacked lr.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 36

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
The sound of a muffler is dependant on the person and his likes. 20 questions and 20 different answers. IMO Flowmasters are good but Magnaflow are better. Nice mellow sound, good exhaust qualities and authoritative sound when barking. A good system is somewhat of a science in that you want a balance of free flow with the proper amount of backpressure. There is also what I kinda see as a trend toward 2 into 1 systems with headers or manifolds. The reasoning being that a truck/Bronco is more torque than speed and the space under the beast is sparse due to the transfer case.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I went from twin Flowmasters to twin Magnaflows and I can definitely feel a difference in power. What sucks is I did it to make room for my new antiwrap bar and it still won't clear so it looks like I'm headed back to the muffler shop again for a two into one setup....

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I run Magnaflows and they have a nice mellow sound when tooling around the neighborhood. If I drop the hammer though and get on it they light up and shout "Look at me". FWIW, I think both the Flowmaster and the MagnaFlow are straight through designs (Someone obove claimed differently). I know for sure the Magnaflows are.

7d1

Loc.
Fairfield,Ca
Magnaflows are straight through, flowmaster a V design in them.I was looking cut-aways of both yesterday.I will use a Magnaflow on mine,two into one.Dave

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
7d1 said:
Magnaflows are straight through, flowmaster a V design in them.I was looking cut-aways of both yesterday.
Interesting. I'm glad I ended up with the Magnaflows then. I actually told the exhaust shop to use one or the other and ended up with the Magnaflows.

gladrich

Do you guys have a model number or part number of the magnaflows your running?

68ford

Bronco Guru
ant proof that flowmasters dont flow good? everyone and there mom uses them when i go to car shows, i highly doubt that they flow hardly any worse if at all than a magnaflow.
i personally dont like magnaflow because the packing blows out after time and ive seensome where moisture collects in the packing and they getthose little rust holes.
and i can not for one minute believe a spintech can flow better than a flowmaster, same concept, makes the air go spinning around several swirrly things inside.
ive had the same pair of flowmasters for 8 years, so i haveno complaints.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Have ran Flowmaster on my 71 and 72. Went to Magnaflow on the 77 and will never go back. Magnaflows perform and sound better. Go with the Stainless XL's...you don't need a part number. Just say, "dual stainless Magnaflow XL's"....booyaa baby ;)

bandit

Loc.
Afton
I ran dual Flowmaster Hushpower Twos,they are expensive,loud,and obnoxious...but damn they are so small,and compact,its a thing of beauty to have room under an E.B.,to have smooth bends,and no kinks.I gotta tell you though,when you kick it in the ass,your nieghbors know your a coming.The routing job with these is easier than the super single I had.
BANDIT

b4opec

Loc.
Sausalito, CA Marin
If you search under my username, I posed this similar question only in response to my dilemma- my setup was too loud with every muffler I tried. And I tried them all....my setup of heads and compression just made for an extremely loud motor no matter what. I wound up installing car chemistry inserts behind the collectors which ratcheted me down in sheer volume. (thank you classicbroncos member for suggesting the inserts by the way, it was pure genius)

I ran flow 40's, magnaflows, hushpower 2's (currently on) and of course turbos. My noise/cackle situation aside, if I had a mild motor I would probably gravitate back to the magnaflows. I liked the 40's but the magnaflows had a better feel powerwise. It's hard to explain, it's just a feel when you really get on it. In my opinion the magnaflows are a bigger glasspack anyway and I love glasspacks. Now that I have my noise situation under control I'm considering going back to magna's. I am unimpressed with the hushpowers, but that's just me. Considering the problems I was having with noise out of a 302, I was really surprised to see one of those spike tv shows- either horsepower or trucks- installing hushpowers on a radical 502 build. It seemed ridiculous to me to match hushpowers to such a large displacement motor based on my experiences

bandit

Loc.
Afton
I really like the demensions better than the sound,they really tuck up and away,without all this sideways turning.I like the "50's" sound of classic Flowmasters better,the Hushpowers seem well made,anyway...did you ever try any other muffler,that was that small besides a glasspack,they just wear out too fast.
BANDIT

b4opec

Loc.
Sausalito, CA Marin
Bandit, I agree on the hushpower size, they are small...but they are a bit longer at the same time. I went to several muffler shops and while one told me I was crazy and couldn't work an x-pipe and two (insert muffler manufacturer here) mufflers, another one in town had no concerns and bent up a phenomenal exhaust. Like doctors, get a second opinion I suppose- you can squeeze what you want in if you have the right shop imho but I'm not running wrap taps or anything

bandit

Loc.
Afton
I agree,I've had some great exhaust jobs done,and some that give me nightmares,I was lucky to get mine done as professionally as it turned out.I traveled 125 miles to get someone to do the Hushpowers, I've seen some exhaust artists,in the south,but in the Wyoming,Idaho area I wont hold my breath anymore.I really cant stand turning the mufflers edgewise.I really dont think the Hushpowers are long compared to alot of mufflers,I thought about it for along time,and checked dimensions,I would put them in again,they fit better than anything I've seen to date.I disagree that they're not quality,they seem top quality to me ,but only time will tell.
BANDIT

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68ford said:
ant proof that flowmasters dont flow good? everyone and there mom uses them when i go to car shows, i highly doubt that they flow hardly any worse if at all than a magnaflow.
i personally dont like magnaflow because the packing blows out after time and ive seensome where moisture collects in the packing and they getthose little rust holes.
and i can not for one minute believe a spintech can flow better than a flowmaster, same concept, makes the air go spinning around several swirrly things inside.
Huh, how's that? They are straight through so the packing isn't going to blow out and they are all stainless (not just the XL series) so they are not going to get "those little rust holes". http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question06.asp They also have a lifetime warranty.

Someone above said to specify the "Stainless Magnaflows". That isn't necessary though since they do not sell a muffler that isn't stainless.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
bandit said:
I was lucky to get mine done as professionally as it turned out.I traveled 125 miles to get someone to do the Hushpowers,
BANDIT
I got lucky, the top exhaust shop in this region is about 2 miles from my house. He get's a lot of custom business that comes from several miles out because of his reputation.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
68ford said:

68ford The so called "spins" on a a spin tecn muffler are not sealed next to each other they are just spiral baffals that are placed inside the chamber mainly to reduce noise the same way flowmaster runs a v shaped baffal.
I've run both flow mo's and spintech and they both seem to flow very well. which one specifiaclly flows better, well that i don't know. I would guess just like the rest alot depends on application HP and out put. I chose spintech mainly to be different then every other person and to try something new. If i had to throw a muffler on another engine I would probably run another spintech or a flowmaster
;D