• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Must-do upgrades before I put my 1971 U15 back together.

71BroncoSean

Loc.
Fort Lauderdale
I have a 1971 U15 4x4, and the engine, transmission, radiator, etc. are currently out of the body, because it was just painted. Before I start putting everything back, I thought I'd inquire about the most difficult must-do upgrades. I am looking to keep this as an everyday driver with modern upgrades (I travel 2 miles to/from work). I plan to rebuild the 302 and keep the factory tires (P215/75R15) and rims, and I would like to maintain the "original" look as much as possible. BTW, I am located in Fort Lauderdale.

In the interest of time, I'm going to pay someone to rebuild the engine and reinstall everything to get the car in operational condition. So here are my questions (my budget, time, tools, space and skill are limited, so I'm trying to prioritize upgrades the mechanic has to do now vs. what I can do later):

1. Should I keep the existing transmission or upgrade to a 4 speed automatic or something else? Should I have the mechanic upgrade the transmission now or is this something I can do later?

2. Should I replace the drum brakes now or upgrade myself later? Should I go with disc brakes on the front only or all the way around?

3. Should I have the mechanic convert the engine to EFI or is that something I can do later? Regardless, what do you recommend for the conversion?

4. Should I convert to powered steering? Should I have this done before I put the engine back in or can I do this later?

5. Prior to putting the engine back in, what other upgrades are must-haves now?

Attachments

• C64C426E-383C-4771-A462-5D4B88892DAE.jpg
    C64C426E-383C-4771-A462-5D4B88892DAE.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 78
  • E67A18B3-F530-4407-8491-95AD384147A2.jpg
    E67A18B3-F530-4407-8491-95AD384147A2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sean,

I see you only have a few posts. Welcome to Classic Broncos!

My main concern when building these Early Broncos is Safety First.

Power Brakes with Disc up front. I am in Florida too, it's wet and humid, not the best for Drum Brakes.
Roll Bar with 3-Point Seat Belts
New Wire harness - Yours is almost 50 years old and, if not in perfect condition, is a potential Fire Hazard.
Power Steering - More For comfort than safety.

If you never drive your Bronco on the highway there really is no "need" for an Overdrive Transmission.

I would replace the Suspension. The newer kits out now are so much more comfortable than original. Wild Horses and others sell the factory, stock height suspension kits with bushings. Great improvement here.

You can go up to a 235/75/15 Tire and still look stock. You should have more tire choices in this size.

Have the 302 Motor rebuilt and add a Sniper Throttle Body EFI if you can swing it now.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have done it before you can do it yourself. Getting the Radius Arm bushings in is not the easiest one man job.

Nice looking Bronco. Are you going to put the Front and Rear side marker lights back in it?

OP
OP

71BroncoSean

Loc.
Fort Lauderdale
I hadn't thought much about the marker lights. Is that recommended? As for doing things alone. My 21 year old son is an aerospace engineer and an amateur mechanic. I plan to do some of these projects with him when he visits from college. If suspension is something he and I can work on together after the engine is in, I'd likely wait on that.

triracer67

Contributor
Great suggestions already. I would entire check steering assembly, and upgrade anything that has a little bit of play, or slop. At speed a little bit of play can lead to handling issues. The tendency is to totally replace everything on the suspension. I actually run stock springs/leafs and upgraded shocks for smoother ride. Also, make sure you are running new balanced tires. Good luck!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Have you owned and driven your Bronco to see what it needs? Actual experience will tell you what's needed. After owning a new '74 for several years I knew power brakes would make it much safer. The power steering ditto. My '77 had front disc brakes from the factory so I don't know how power drum front brakes would work. But the factory power front discs were great. The pre-smog carbureted engines did everything needed and did it well.. The OE C4 is a great transmission I don't believe there's any better. Going to extremely over size tires is a waste, that creates the need for other modifications and won't help real capabilities. The OE shocks were poor and there is plenty of room for improvement. The front springs were too weak to avoid bottoming out. My only spring change, was a set of '78 Bronco coils. The ride, and handling improved with no bottoming. The rest of the truck was well designed and works very well.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I would add discs, power brakes, power steering and EFI. BUT that is also how projects get out of hand and never get done. You can do any of those later down the road with very little risk of taking a step backward. Even power steering is pretty easy.

If there is one thing I would absolutely do before you put the engine (all new gaskets right?) that is the Explorer front serpentine conversion. So worth it. All new(ish) accessories including a high amp alternator, high volume power steering pump, great water pump and killer mechanical fan.

My rule is if I have to spend money on something I will bring it up to the latest standard. If you were going to re-do the drum brakes I would toss them and go discs and not spend money on them. But if the steering is fine let it go until you drive the truck a bit. EFI is a whole project in itself. But if I was being a tank I would buy an EFI ready tank.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I would do atleast the front with disc brakes and take a look at hydroboost rather than a vacume booster. Night and day difference in my experience. Rear disk is nice but only if you have extra money after other upgrades.

Fuel injection is another great upgrade. See efi guy (Garry) for the explorer E.D.I.S. system.

Twin stick is cool too.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Since I am spending your money not mine.

I would do hydra boost front disc brakes leave drums in the rear. then power steering since you have to use a power steering pump up front anyway. use a dual return GM can ham pump. power steering box will likely need a small box bump out in the core support you want to do this now before the engine and everything gets in the way.
I would check and or replace the steering linkage parts as necessary I would convert all rubber bushings to urethane bushings. I would put in 1" body lift kit. replace track bar bushings.

I would convert to Bronco C4 auto tranny. you will need auto tranny steering column so while doing that put in much safer collapsible steering shaft.
put in some type of roll protection and 3 point safety belts. if using stock seats convert to headrests. I would rebuild these seats with new foam and skins. Upgrade rear brake lights to something brite. upgrade alternator too.
if your keeping the stock bumpers put a piece a 2"x2" 1/4" wall steel tube behind the bumper bolted in by the bumperette holes in the bumpers. stock bumpers don't protect anything. wont even protect your pants. they fold on garbage cans. I would also use Stroppe type bumper braces.

that's enough for now. Come back and ask questions on each of your projects and save yourself allot of trouble and expense.

OsteoBronco

Loc.
Boca Raton
Great Information here. I am also in Fort Lauderdale and 60% done with my 1971 Bronco build. My mechanical experience is minimal and I am forced to listen to on my builder for input.

Look for my post maybe we can help each other down the road.