• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

mustang HB bleeder screw

OX1

Bronco Guru
Should that be bled while the PS pump is running and/or while depressing the brake pedal OR should it not even be bothered with at all. So far nothing has come out of it (even left it open for a bit and have depressed brake pedal several times)

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Hydro boost bleeder screw?? I don't believe there is such a thing
Send a pic will you?? I have seen dozens of H boost units and not seen a bleeder screw.
TOFIC

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
It's not the greatest pic but its the best I have.
It's got a rubber dust cap on it in the pic.

Attachments

• DSCN3115copy.jpg
    DSCN3115copy.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 34

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Since it is easier to get the air out of the system before it is whipped to foam in the power steering fluid I would try to hook up some sort of vacuum to the bleeder screw and suck the air out. You might try a brake bleeder if you have one or duct tape a small piece of vinyl tubing to the hose on your wet or dry vac and draw the air out until you get some PS fluid.

Ford probably put the bleeder screw in the 96-98 units because all the lines came out the bottom of the HB. Air would get trapped up near the accumulator and be next to impossible to get out. I didn't use it on mine because I reclocked the hydroboost.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Send a pic will you?? I have seen dozens of H boost units and not seen a bleeder screw.
TOFIC

When you get your hydroboosts for free they don't come with a bleeder screw.;D I have only seen them on 96-98 Mustangs. They had problems getting everything to fit in the Mustang with the 4.6 so all the lines came out the bottom of the HB when it was mounted which made for a big air pocket above the lines.

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
TOFIC

See upper part of this pic. Also see my thread titled "FIRE!!" (I did finally get fluid out of that bleeder :-[)

Attachments

• DCP02909.jpg
    DCP02909.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 11

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
WELL I stand corrected, but now I understand why.
I would not use it if I was using this unit. What I would do is a standard bleed sequence, get it working and then open the bleeder slightly to get rid of any air that is in there. and you should be fine. BTW, hydroboost must be bleed under pressure, it has nothing happening when the engine is off.