• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

my 79 bronco wont start

Frankallday

Loc.
chicago
im having trouble starting my 6.6 bronco it has new fuel pump a holly carburetor a edelbrock intake manifold long tube headers and a new gas tank all gas lines are fine spark is good but i feel like im not geting any fuel i can put gas down the carb and it will run but as soon as i stop it dies

SHX669

Bronco Guru
When you changed the fuel pump did you possibly mix up the in and out fuel lines?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And maybe your new fuel pump is no good as well. It does happen.

Paul

OP
OP
Frankallday

Frankallday

Loc.
chicago
I made sure that the lines are fine and I put two new fuel pumps and still nothing what are the odds that 2 of them would be bad but I did take off the line that goes into the cab and no gas came out so I guess that's my problem

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The PO of my '79 had added two additional fuel filters for some reason (old-school over protectiveness of the off-roader), and I ran afoul of them clogging up and not knowing they were there.
If you've already checked your lines, it's a bet that there are no super-secret filters hidden away anywhere, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

If there's no fuel getting into the line, maybe some low-pressure compressed air blowing back into the pipes might find some blockage somewhere. Perhaps even the old sock filter has bitten the dust and is causing some cloggage of the sending-unit/feed line.

Oh, and yes it's always possible to get two bad new pumps these days. But that second one at least reduces the possibility by 90% or so.

Good luck.

Paul