• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Buddy's Highline Classics Build

Ro_Ja Boy

I have my thread underway, but thought it would be fun for people to follow along as my buddy Steve's second Highline Classics build gets to the end. Steve and I met when I was selling my first build and he recently sold his grey steel-molded 4-speed auto Bronco to have a new build, uncut and manual transmission, done.

Here are some pics over the last two weeks:

sWXvotU.jpeg

7g57kzu.jpeg

Da3kmPn.jpeg

AFS5qka.jpeg

rf1xAtH.jpeg

cj8pKQ5.jpeg

7SM3592.jpeg

A8fPu8j.jpeg

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Highline builds some nice looking stuff! I really do envy the commissioned builds.

However I do feel the cage they use looks hideous, but that’s me as a fabricator, it will work and do its job, just for the money I’d be pissed about the chopped up visual looks that don’t flow and looks like something thrown together from a bolt together smitty built kit. That’s just me. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate it and respect both the builder and commissioner because I do

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was under the impression that the over the leaf traction bars didn't function all that well.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I was under the impression that the over the leaf traction bars didn't function all that well.
They are better than nothing and for a mostly street truck effective enough. They work well enough for Ford to put them on 5.0 explorers, those are spring under so the leverage is better but still there and I can attest on the explorers they work.

OP
OP
R

Ro_Ja Boy

Highline builds some nice looking stuff! I really do envy the commissioned builds.

However I do feel the cage they use looks hideous, but that’s me as a fabricator, it will work and do its job, just for the money I’d be pissed about the chopped up visual looks that don’t flow and looks like something thrown together from a bolt together smitty built kit. That’s just me. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate it and respect both the builder and commissioner because I do
It’s the Krawler’s Edge cage, which I think many builders use.

I think it’s the best looking bolt-in option.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It’s the Krawler’s Edge cage, which I think many builders use.

I think it’s the best looking bolt-in option.
That’s why I said my opinion, I do respect another’s consideration of what looks great. No offense to anyone meant, if the person paying likes it, that’s good enough. Still a fantastic looking build.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
We have a fairly large community of old restored vehicles. I give everyone a thumbs up. Just because it may not be a model or color I would choose, doesn't mean I don't like or respect what they have done. Life would be very boring if we had to have everything the same.

Nice looking bronco.

OP
OP
R

Ro_Ja Boy

That’s why I said my opinion, I do respect another’s consideration of what looks great. No offense to anyone meant, if the person paying likes it, that’s good enough. Still a fantastic looking build.
Zero offense taken. Totally get that opinions are like (I forget what body part). :D

I don’t know many off the shelf family cages…

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Zero offense taken. Totally get that opinions are like (I forget what body part). :D

I don’t know many off the shelf family cages…
There aren’t a lot, and most look like the KE and due to what was on the market for decades it’s the most popular style. Closest I’ve seen to my liking is Bailie Bilt. It can be ordered with straight spreaders, which I prefer.

OP
OP
R

Ro_Ja Boy

Why they don't use my Bumperlifts on their non new frame builds is beyond me.
I don’t think they have done many non new frame builds. They modify the frame rails, but you would know what that means more than I would. I’ve always used spare tire carriers so had to leave rear at stock height and use the filler panels for the gap. The front is the only one that gets modified on mine (this one too - he’s doing a Duff carrier)

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t think they have done many non new frame builds. They modify the frame rails, but you would know what that means more than I would. I’ve always used spare tire carriers so had to leave rear at stock height and use the filler panels for the gap. The front is the only one that gets modified on mine (this one too - he’s doing a Duff carrier)
Looks like they leave gaps or filler panels on stock frames, according to their instagram. That frame is modified in the pictures?

Why use the duff carrier on a build this high end? Stock carrier, rebuilt nicely would look better an function better.

OP
OP
R

Ro_Ja Boy

Many people (including me) are adverse to holes in the body…imagine the thought is maybe someday they don’t run a spare.

They don’t leave large gaps like other builders. They raise the bumpers or use filler panels in the rear if using aftermarket tire carriers.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many people (including me) are adverse to holes in the body…imagine the thought is maybe someday they don’t run a spare.

They don’t leave large gaps like other builders. They raise the bumpers or use filler panels in the rear if using aftermarket tire carriers.
I think they look silly without a spare:) The stock spare can be made to not rattle and rock solid, it just takes some effort. I hope some of the higher end builders start adopting that. I saw one this weekend and it looked odd without the spare.

Looks like they use a lot of custom frames, either stock modified or new, which makes sense to include the body lift into the frame horns. They can't raise the bumper with any sort of block without infringing on my patent.

OP
OP
R

Ro_Ja Boy

I think they look silly without a spare:) The stock spare can be made to not rattle and rock solid, it just takes some effort. I hope some of the higher end builders start adopting that. I saw one this weekend and it looked odd without the spare.

Looks like they use a lot of custom frames, either stock modified or new, which makes sense to include the body lift into the frame horns. They can't raise the bumper with any sort of block without infringing on my patent.
I remember you discussing with Highline and it sounds like it’s not a concern of infringement. I don’t have details…

I like the spare too…went with an Icon on my build to be done in July. Have had a spare each time.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember you discussing with Highline and it sounds like it’s not a concern of infringement. I don’t have details…

I like the spare too…went with an Icon on my build to be done in July. Have had a spare each time.
Changing the frame horn doesn’t infringe at all.

Icon carrier is very very nice looking.