• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My clumsy hands and my newly damaged Brake line

ttkelly

I installed new leaf springs and decided to upgrade to the new stainless steel lines to the axel. The brake line nut on the line attached to the frame was not in the best shape, rounded and stripped...so had to use pliers to try to coax it off. My hand slipped and I damaged the brakeline, actually cracked the thing. So I have a few options I can thunk of to fix it... Try to fix this line by taking it off and having a shop put a new flare on it. The crack was only about an inch away from the original flare. Though it is the original and I am afraid it is a bit brittle. I can also try to have some one local create a new line in the right length and bend it myself or buy one of the over priced prebent ones from one of the bronco shops (WH quoted me ~ $100 for the single line shipped). Any thoughts or recommendations? I really don't want to make any poor choices as my and my passengers safety may be at stake.
Thanks in advance for the help.

MattW

Happened to me too. Visegrips were the key for getting it off after it broke.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You can buy steel line at most parts stores. You would need a flaring tool to put the double flare in it. That might run $50 with the tool.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Usually you can take the section of line out and take it with you to the auto parts and with a couple of pieces and maybe a coupler or 2 you can recreate the line. Small tube benders you can get cheap. Just dont try bending it with just your hands. If you want to try your hand at flairing the tube, then some auto parts loan tools. If you go this route I would buy a short section and a coupler and a new end fitting for your old line then I would pratice making a couple of flairs before you make a final cut on your own tube and flair it. Just a note of caution remember to put your fitting on the tube before you flair it and also remember to put the fitting on the right way. It really sucks when you get through and think your done with this pain in the butt job and there is no fitting or the fitting is on backwards and its a perfect flair.

If I were you and didn't have the where withall I would take out your section old line and the broken pieces and walk into a good Napa and lay it on the counter and say get me from here to there with these fittings on the end.

I would replace that whole section, its done its job for 35 years and needs retirement.

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
I just bought a complete set of hardlines from WH for $170. Initially it sounded like a lot to me but after investigating making the stuff myself or running to local places I realized it's a good deal.
You have to bleed your system now anyway so it's a good time to replace everything.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Just go to NAPA and get a straight line and bend it yourself. They sell them with the fittings and flares already in place in many different lengths. Measure the total length of your current piece, then go get a straight piece that is a little longer than that. Then get a tube bender (which they will probably sell there) and bend away. Much cheaper than getting pre-bent ones. The only drawback I can see is that sometimes you end up having to buy a pre-cut piece that is longer than what you need. Not too big of a deal - just put in a few more bends in it to make up the difference.

fastcarkenny

Loc.
Avondale, AZ
I made all of the lines for my brake system. I rented a flare tool from the local parts store. Even if you buy one from harbor fraight, they are cheap. I have a whopping $30 bucks in mine, including all new fittings... I say bend it yourself. I found that the cheapie tube benders make pretty aweful bends. I used a paint can and a set of hole saws to make my bends nice and round. I am sure I will catch some flack for that, but it worked better than the tube bender for me.

OP
OP
T

ttkelly

Thank you all for the advise. I Went to the local parts shop and priced out the tools (no option to rent or borrow), new fittings and line which came to about $50. I was thinking about the compression fitting but was advised against it due to the age of the lines... After calling around Tom's sells the line I need prebent for $39, plush shipping. Maybe it is the easy way out but I pulled the trigger. Thanks again everyone for the help!