• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Most Valuable Tool...You Got a Fave?

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here are some of my favorite old school tools; wooden handled screw drivers, wrenches and pliers you don't see any more and analog electrical meters.

Attachments

• Old School Tools.jpg
    Old School Tools.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Here are some of my favorite old school tools; wooden handled screw drivers, wrenches and pliers you don't see any more and analog electrical meters.

That flathead must've been made for industrial machinery!!

71 CA Bronco

Laugh all you want but my sister gave me a little LED light. I mean about 3" long not terribly bright but you can switch it from spot to open light. I chuckled when see gave it too me about five years ago. She said she uses hers all the time. Damn if it isn't the one flash light in the house I can always find and it always works. I laugh every time I use it. I thought it would just stay in our junk drawer and never come out. Not as good as the Milwaukee and Snap On but a handy thing to have around the house. ;D

OP
OP
1strodeo

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Been a while thought I'd give it another shot we all got a favorite tool!!

DWALKER

I guess this is my favorite "tool". I do a lot of stuff with her

Attachments

• DA0847CC-BC02-482F-A948-EB929A199301.jpg
    DA0847CC-BC02-482F-A948-EB929A199301.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 44

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I turned a Wrench for a living back in the day at Sears, 1980 - 1985 until I got into the Fire service. I have a Snap-on top and bottom tool box filled with tools I bought from Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, SK, and Proto. I use them all to this day.
My Favorite... is my Dad's Craftman 1/2 drive set I inherited. He bought it in the 50's when "he did not have a spare nickle to rub together". It is all there in the metal box, and everything works ;D

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I turned a Wrench for a living back in the day at Sears, 1980 - 1985 until I got into the Fire service. I have a Snap-on top and bottom tool box filled with tools I bought from Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, SK, and Proto. I use them all to this day.
My Favorite... is my Dad's Craftman 1/2 drive set I inherited. He bought it in the 50's when "he did not have a spare nickle to rub together". It is all there in the metal box, and everything works ;D

I turned wrenches at Sears from 87 to 90. And it was in the 904 area code of Florida. Jacksonville, Florida.

Any connection to your 904 monicker?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I turned wrenches at Sears from 87 to 90. And it was in the 904 area code of Florida. Jacksonville, Florida.

Any connection to your 904 monicker?

No, not related. In the era that I entered the Fire service, they were still using 10 codes like PD. The fire service started moving towards Clear Text, which is "briefly" say what you are doing. 904 in front of another word indicated that it is on fire. I.E. 904 Structure, 904 Auto, 904 Tree, 904 Dumpster... My Red Shelby mustang's lic plate is 904Auto. That ends the trivia lesson for today :)

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
I have a lot of favorites, but I recently got a 120 tooth flex head ratchet from GearWrench and that thing is awesome!

I also replaced an old impact wrench that was completely useless for rusted bolts on the bronco with an aircat impact and it is amazing!

Nothing Special

As far as a favorite tool, mine is easy to think of. When I was a kid I used my dad's tools (and somehow didn't lose any of them!). He had a needle-nose pliers that actually worked. I never thought that was unusual until I tried to get my own and I found that it's very rare to find a needle-nose pliers where the jaws close tight, and the wire-cutter closes at the same time as the jaws, and the jaws don't twist out of alignment when you try to turn something with it.

Then one time I was in my parents basement looking for something and ran across an old wooden tool box. I asked my dad about it and he told me that it had been his dad's (my grandfather dies when I was 11 so I did know him). My dad said he didn't think there was much in it, but that I was welcome to whatever I could find.

There weren't very many tools in it, and most of the ones that were there either weren't very good, or just weren't anything I needed. But by now I'm sure you know what the exception was. There was a needle-nose pliers that was every bit as solid as the one my dad has (maybe even better actually). It has a dark brown oxide coating, so it looks like an old piece of crap. But it's one of the best quality tools I've ever seen, it's probably over 75 years old now, it works great and it was my grandfather's.

Back when I was a Boy Scout Leader I'd bring my toolbox on camping trips ("Be Prepared!") and occasionally another leader would ask to borrow my needle-nose pliers. I'j let them use it, but I'd tell them to be very careful with it, that it was completely irreplaceable. They'd laugh until I told them the story. And no one misplaced it!