• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My motor may not be what I thought (assumptions, argh). Can you help me ID this?

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
I bought my Bronco almost ten years ago.

Long story short, I bought the Bronco from a guy who bought it as a toy and didn't know much about it, nor did he do anything to it. Basically drove it for 6 months and sold it. I imagine he got it for a song and then made some cash selling it to me. I don't really care, this is my dream car.

I assumed the engine was a 170 due to the VIN. I"m a novice, but willing to learn! After dealing with some carb issues and researching carbs I came across a thread that said the 170 had 3 freeze plugs and the 200 had 5. Well, my engine most definitely has 5. It is also stamped with the following.
D8BE
6015-GE

Is this enough info to positively identify the orphan under my hood?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
4th digit on your vin will at least tell what came in it(U15T---)would be I6 200cdi and I believe F would be I6 170.This may not help,but maybe you can tell what came in it?

Gene

OP
OP
rockingm82

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
Interesting. So, I have a 1968 with a donor 200 from some 78 vintage Ford. Hmm... the research one must perform on these old machines is interesting/mind boggling.

Head Casting EOBE6090-bb

@half cab It came with a 170

Last edited:

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
In the Ford part number schemes, the first character (alpha) correlated with the decade:
C = 60's
D = 70's
E = 80's
F = 90's

The second character (numeral) correlated with the year in that decade. So, a part number beginning with "D8" would indicate 1978.

Same thing as Phil76 said with a little more information.