• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mythe busting, How can we assume that new is GOOD?Electrical-

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
a while back I posted about my friend searching through the parts houses and the MSD stuf and found that about 90% of the NEW distributor caps had too much resistance and could cause miss.
I been having a similar idea about my new miss in my EB and my newly acquired F150.
I decided to check the caps and both were good ,but I went to check my wire on both rigs and they were both bad. So of to the 5 different local parts houses and I thought I would bring along my multi tester.
I found 1 set of Plug wires of the 18 that I tested that were not over 10,000 ohm's. ONE set was 12,000%)
SCHUCKS ,Partwise, NAPA, autozone and the Fav( well after this I don't know) of mine B&B ,only one was good.
I am getting educated that new does not mean good.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Also, sometimes the quality of a new part is less then that of a old OEM part. I see stock plug wires last 20 years. Cheap aftermarket only a few years.

Consider OEM vs. aftermarket warranty costs.

OEM part goes bad, customer unhappy with whole car, part replacment cost, dealer labor rates, not good. OEM buys a lot of parts and can demand that parts meet quality standards or the supplier will be dropped. Also the supplier can be charged for the cost of the warranty repair.

Aftermarket is competing based mostly on price. Some on name. Warranty cost?, here is another one, hope it works.

I will run the old original plug wires as long as I can until I have problems before I buy a set of parts store wires. I have had more issues with aftermarket wires.