• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Name that part! Horn relay junction

clinem03

I’m not sure what it’s called, but I’m referring to it as the horn relay junction (see photo). I can’t seem to find a replacement online…but that’s probably because I don’t know what it’s called. Can someone tell me the name of the part? Mines shot and to get the horn working I’ll need to replace it.

Attachments

• BD0DA836-6450-48B4-B588-9D165AD633D5.jpg
    BD0DA836-6450-48B4-B588-9D165AD633D5.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 70

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would call it the "horn relay connector" but it should have come up in your search too I would have thought. They are reproduced, but I don't see them on our site so it's possible either we just don't carry them (pretty sure we did though) or they're on mega-backorder like so much other stuff is these days.

Try LMC truck and Scott Drake for starters.
I'll keep digging too.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just checked Tom's out as well, and they don't show them either. They're pretty good about selling those small electric "pigtails" (hey, that's another search term perhaps!) so when I don't see it there it may indeed be N/A for now.
I didn't think of pigtail at first because frankly they are not "pigtails" in their original form. That would have been a connector with pre-attached wires that were curled tightly for compactness, hence looking like a pig's tail.
But most of them have been just straight wires for a long time. Still the pigtail moniker stuck like glue. Or like "posi-traction" and "hei" and "solenoid" did!

Good luck!
Oh, and since they were the same on most Ford vehicles during our years (early sixties through early sixties I'd say) you can still find some good ones in the junkyards.
What's wrong with yours?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What's wrong with yours?

Uh, duh! Ok, now that I actually looked at the pic closely I see it's obvious what's buggered with the old connector.
Nevermind...

Search Ford horn relay "plug" or "connector" or "pigtail" or "socket" maybe?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good find. Has t-bird specific connections on the other ends, but the main connector sure looks the same. But since it's listed only for '57 it would be worth a call to see if they know whether or not it fits all older Ford horn relays.

Paul

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Yep, it’s broken in the middle and the PO put a bunch of rubber-ish insulator over it and it’s all gummed up on the inside too. I can seem to make the connection with the horn the way it is. Thanks for the search! I’ll keep looking. Worst case my F100 had the same relay and pigtail and there’s a F100 junkyard 45 min away so I can go cut one. Maybe someone here swapped for a new wire harness and has one they want to sell?

QQ - do you know how to remove the wires? Just tug? Some sort of trick? I’m pretty familiar with electrical but have never encountered one of these pigtails.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, those are not serviceable to my knowledge. Unlike the ignition switch and voltage regulator wires, these and their metal push-on connectors are molded into the whole body of the part. Not removable.
At least not that I ever saw.

So you need the connector and a length of the wires attached to it so you can cut yours back to where the wires are good and crimp/solder/glue/tape (or wire nut! haha!) the wires together.
If you go far enough away from the connector itself you can do the crimping inside the harness tape area and re-wrap it all so nobody is the wiser.

And as you may have figured out already, in a pinch you can just cut off the whole thing and put female blade style connectors on the ends of the wires and push them directly on to the relay.
It's not as clean looking, and not as weather resistant, and no longer looks stock, but it still honks the horn.

Paul

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Sounds like I’ll have a nice 45min drive to the F100 yard tomorrow. Thanks, Paul!