• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

name these disc brakes and power steering unit

laidbback

Loc.
Los Angeles
I got this bronco with no info a year ago and I am still trying to figure out what everything is. It is a 68 but was sitting for 10 years before I got it and all the updates were done before 1998. This includes efi, power steering, power brakes disc up front.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/21242/cat/500/ppuser/22857
-the pic in my gallery before this one shows the bottom view where you can see the PO cut the frame out to fix the steering box. Anyone seen this before? I saw a similar pic on a stroppe bronc

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/21241/cat/500/ppuser/22857 chevy? ford? I need new discs and don't know what i'm replacing

Also it has the older style pulleys(2 belts) and originally came with a 289, but I read efi doesn't work on 289 so it would have to be a 302, right? Also it has a a9l computer or something like that which is from a mustang I believe, did those mustangs have the newer one belt config. I really don't know anything about the motor other than the newer autometer guages that were installed before 98 say it has 25xxx which makes me think it was rebuilt back then. Any tell tale signs of a rebuild. BTW it runs great, sometimes a little putter when starting cold but never dies and has lots of power.

Sorry for all the questions, any help greatly appreciated.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Can't help you with the power steering other than to say it looks similar to a Dodge box that a user here has posted pictures of before. Might try searching for "dodge power steering" to see if you can find it.

Do you have any better pics of the brakes? From the one photo, it looks like the GM/Chevy conversion due to the pin going through the top of the caliper.

5.0 fuel injection will work on a 289. Firing order and lifter valley are the same, so it would be about the same installation as on a 302. I have seen tech articles about converting a Mustang 289 to EFI, so I know it can be done.

Oatmeal

Well, those are definitely GM calipers and that looks like a Saginaw steering box. Stroppe used to notch the frame to install saginaw boxes before they came out with the Bronco specific box. I understand that the Saginaw box came in 3 and 4 bolt (mounting) versions. Maybe this might help identify it http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/psteering.html ?:? ------------Hans

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Brakes are GM. Pads and calipers are '75 Blazer 4WD K5 350 Automatic (what other stupid questions would a parts store ask?). Rotors, '76 to '86 Bronco (when the parts guy asks irrelevent questions give reasonable answers, 4WD, full size, V8, etc)
Steering, not one of the normal swaps. Look for some casting numbers and google "steering" and the number together and see what you get back. My WAG is GM 2WD truck.
Who said EFI won't work on 289? We have several people using stock 5.0 EFI on 351s. That is a much larger displacment variation then 302 to 289. But that won't answer what engine is in it. The old 3-bolt balancer could have been rebalanced for a newer 5.0 engine to keep the old belts. When parts get mixed up like this it is almost impossible to ever guess what it really is. Too many options for "it is XXX, unless they did YYY" and you have no idea that YYY was an option and if they did that or not. Looking at the picture in the gallery, I am guessing it is a later model 5.0 engine with the early belt drive swapped onto it. But that is only my guess.

OP
OP
L

laidbback

Loc.
Los Angeles
thanks broncobowsher got some info off the front of the engine block
"sheffield D9te6059-bd then theres a 8b and a 78 upside down
did a search and didn't come up with anything.

also got some info off the front discs they say delco moraine 6470 198? then theres a 10 on the other side im guessing 10"

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The block number you found looks more like a timing chain cover number. The D9 part states the year the part was released (but not made). The letter is decade C=60's, D-70's, E=80's, F=90's and the number is the year. This falls in line with being a later 5.0 engine. The reverse rotation waterpump and timing cover were introduced in '79. Part remained unchanged for years. If you look at the heads there probably is an E7 number somewhere as well. More solid evidence you have a 5.0 mustang engine and not the stock 289.

The brakes don't need deciphering. It is a VERY common disk brake conversion using GM parts. Here is a writeup on it. with parts links too.

The steering box is still a mystery.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I saw a similar P/S conversion once. I'm thinking its a GM P/S box. It looks a lot like the 1980 blazer box.

Attachments

• 735122.jpg
    735122.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 4

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here is another picture of the steering box, which you guys have led me to believe is the saginaw box. Does anyone have this box set up with the frame cut and bracket welded that isn't a stroppe bronco.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/21292/cat/500

It is a Saginaw steering box for sure. There are different "series" of them: probably a 700 or 800 series box (I don't have enough experience to identify them).

There are parts and pieces of that conversion that sure look Stroppe to me: the brace between the frame and the crossmember, the piece that extends up to catch the upper bolt, the bracket up front, the angle of the box to the frame, etc.

Todd Z.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That conversion on the PS box looks like the same way STroppe did it. The corner gussett is a little different and a couple other angles are slightly off. I recently talked to a desert racer who used to work with an outfit called Horsepower Engineering and they would go to Stroppes for the boxes and sometimes the mount pieces to do the conversion, but would do it themselves on Broncos. Said Stroppe had pallets of that PS box. That Bronco you have could be a Stroppe-installed PS unit or a Horsepower Engineering installed unit. Or someone with a ton of time on their hands trying to be "old school". :)

7jwbronco14

Cut and notch the frame was a Strope kit . Steering application used was for a one ton GM truck

OP
OP
L

laidbback

Loc.
Los Angeles
still gets me going knowing there was a little stroppe in my bronco whether it be a diy kit or the original stroppe p/s box in frame combo

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Its looks like a chevy 2wd steering box- its the one usually used on gm cross over steering conversions since it has a bolt on steering arm rather than the clamp on style found in the 4wd model