• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need 170 I6 help

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I've got the 170 in my '66, I've found the reason it's not oiling on the top end. When did ford start using hydraulic lifters in these engines? I also need to know what the valve lash needs to be set on and is that measured hot or cold.
Greg

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p They set at .018 for the intake & exhaust They were solid in all the little 6's the 200 had hyd. lifters. O they set hot good luck and have fun.:p :p :p Bill %) :cool: ;D

pondscum

need 170 I6

Hey old iron,

my memory isn't the best but I seem to remember having to measure valve springs etc. I still have some of the shop manuals and will find the one which covers this in detail; however, I can not get the manual out until tomorrow in the afternoon. I haven't worked on one for quite a while but they are good engines. Pound for pound they will produce more torque than a 302 and torque is what takes the eb up a hill. Of course there is no substitute for horse power.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.
Greg

pondscum

need 170

When you disassembled the 170 ( or did you? ) did you keep all of the parts together for the valve they went with? I am at work so in a few hours, uh.. eight hours, I can scan and email you the pages out of the service manual I have. I glanced at them and did not notice valve adjustment but I have not had time to really look at it. I figure a way to post the pages later and send you a reply.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
The only thing off right now is the rocker shaft, which turns out to be in pretty bad shape, the first rocker on the shaft has worn itself almost completely in two and has galled the shaft in the process. (Anybody got one of those laying around). I'd love to have some manual pics, thanks.
Greg

69 Bronco

Loc.
Aurora
Check out www.fordsix.com for one thing. According to the ford falcon handbook 60-64 170's were solid lifters with adj arms and 65 and on 170's and all 200's and 250's were hydro. Not sure what they are set at. HTH

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
This is an early production '66 and i've discovered that it most definitely has solid lifters (not terribly excited about that). I've been all over the ford-six site and have most of this figured out now. Thanks for the help though.
Greg