• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a bronco mechanic

Rolly

Loc.
Yorba Linda, CA
Hi guys, newbie here to the forum. I need a mechanic in Southern CA that can help me put things back together. Last shop tore it apart and didn’t finish putting it together. 1972 with new built engine (never fired). Tranny and transfer case brand new or rebuilt. New wiring installed. Needs steering column installed with 3 on the tree (I have all the linkage), needs drive shafts installed, and engine fired up. Not looking for a show truck, just want it to run.

TIA
Roland

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Rolly, welcome to classicbroncos!
I'm sure someone will help you along, as I'm pretty sure there are several good mechanical types in the area.
I see you're in Yorba Linda. Thanks for putting that info in right away. I started to ask where you were and then saw it. Not used to first-timers putting that info in!

Pretty sure there should be a few within hitting distance I think. But I'll let the other, more local owners chime in with their experiences.
Seems like they're migrating more south of you, but should be someone reputable that you don't have to drive to far to work with.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and is this a new-to-you Bronco? Or have you owned it a long time.

And was it a case of they had no time and not really a Bronco-specific expert, or they just couldn't do what they said?

Hope it was more like the former...

Paul

OP
OP
R

Rolly

Loc.
Yorba Linda, CA
Thanks DirtDonk!

Not new at all. I’ve had it about 15 years, and for 10 years I enjoyed it. 15 years ago I did a basic restore getting rid of all rust and new paint. 5 years ago I got a bright idea to have the wiring replaced, and the shop that started it got it all apart nd went 3x over budget. So I went ahead and had the engine completely built by private builder (302, trick flow heads, full balance, cam, etc. everything except the block and crank was replaced and built.). While it was out I had the tranny rebuilt and transfer case. Took it to mother shop that finished the wiring, installed engine and drive train, but can’t quite get it done. So I’m all square with everyone and just want to get it back running. I’m sure once it’s back on the road, I’ll look at paint again and clean it up, but considering it’s been sitting, it’s not bad at all.
Roland

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ASC auto repair Venice beach.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/asc-auto-repair-venice

Spending time in the LA area on business on a regular basis I swung by one day. They took me on a tour and showed me their work. As I'm building my own bronco so I know what's involved, I was impressed. The complaints on Yelp are probably somewhat legit but only because they are swamped with Broncos. My take it their work is very good, but their time frames are unrealistic based on the amount of work, and their communications are not up to snuff. If you have the time and want it done right, I would recommend them, but be aware, it'll take a lot longer and they're not calling you with updates.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm just in orange is it a carb motor or fuel injection

OP
OP
R

Rolly

Loc.
Yorba Linda, CA
Carb. Talking to another guy today, he mentioned I might need to pull the motor and do the initial run on the blocks. This would also give more room to install the steering column and linkage. Not sure he’s right, but makes sense.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Rolly I'd think after you talk to your new Mechanic . YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO JUDGE if he's Poking Snowball or if he know whathe's talking about .
I'd not want to repull the motor if it just needs Say wired correctly.
.. But I'd want him to give it a once over & NOT take it apart until the last straw.
.......... I'd not want my motor taken apart. If there are leaks then the 2nd guy has someone to blaim it on.