• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a little advice on body work!

69'BigTire

Loc.
South Central Kansas
My main question is where is the best place to start on replacing sheet metal? My forward floors, forward and aft door posts, inner and outer rockers are all bad! Just curious from you body guys where the best place is to start!? Thanks in advance!!

Galt72

Contributor
Whatever you do don't remove or disturb the front fender bolt hole marks in the paint on top of the inner front fenders. I'd use a magic marker inside the bolt holes for a perfect match. When replacing the front door posts you can use these to reset the front fenders back into the stock position. Bolt the fenders to the new door post and that will set your door post in the correct position. I read everything I could about setting the door post correctly. I took a dozen measurements, took pictures from every angle and struggled for days with clamps, screws, anything I could think of to get it straight with no luck. Once I stumbled upon this simple idea my door posts were set in just minutes.

kip60

Hey, Big, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you asked this. I'm having the same quandary with my 70. Galt, that's a great point. I'm thinking of doing the floor pans first, My kick panel/inner fenders are bad also. Rockers maybe second to get them aligned with floor. Then striker posts to set them to what is there, then hinge posts. I think one step at a time will keep things closer as you go, but I could be completely off base.
Good luck, there's lots of EB guys around Wichita

Galt72

Contributor
I recently did my front floors and front door posts but I'm no expert on tearing it all apart. The first thing i would do is install new body mounts and get the body square you can get some sag wit old mounts. I think doing floors first makes sense. Doing one thing at a time if u can so u don't loose being square. If u cut out more brace it before you do.

OP
OP

69'BigTire

Loc.
South Central Kansas
Big thanks guys!! I plan on starting with the floor I think and moving to the rockers and the aft and forward posts. Excellent idea on the forward post Galt. Never would have thought of that!! This whole body thing is new to me but I think I can get her figured out!!