• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need advice on sheet metal fix. (channel in front of windshield)

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
So I thought I was getting close to finishing the sheet metal work when I found this mess. I was thinking about cutting out enough area to put in a piece of rectangle tubing 1" x 3" across that area after I remove the channel. It would end up sticking above the existing flat by about 1/4". I wasn't sure if that would affect the way the hood closes on the back side.

Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
If I looked at the right part (lower cowel panel). That won't solve my problem the channel that is rusted out is under that panel it looks to be part of the firewall. After I cut the top of the cowel panel out that is where I found the rust. Maybe I need to go look at it again, it has been a long day I could be totally confused. Thanks for the quick reply too, I appreciate it!

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Ah I see what you mean now.. that rusted piece below is the windshield frame. Much more of a pain the neck to replace.

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Windshield_Frame_Cowl_Panel

I can see in the one pic a pretty good hole. If this isn't a full restoration, could you patch the worst of the holes then treat the corrosion, coat with POR15 then install the new cowl panel?

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The whole trough is rusted out. The rest of the frame is in good shape , that's why I was curious about putting in a piece of rectangle tubing to replace it. The top of the cowl is rust free so I don't need to replace anything else except where I cut it out. The damage is all below.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
That is a tough are to deal with.

Mine was rusted to the point it hade big holes in it.

I patched the bottom of mine up with sheet steel.

I did it as a temporary fix as the real fix is to replace the firewall and cowl.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
If that was mine, and if it wasn't going to be a show rig, i'd cut out the entire lower cowl. Sandblast the rust till all the good metal is exposed. Cut out and repair, or overlay the bottom of the trough with new metal. Treat with POR15 then install a new lower cowl panel. Get a good seam sealer and seal it up good and it'll stay dry for the next 40 years.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Definitely not a show rig. Its going to be my daily driver and hunting rig. That whole trough is like paper so it has to go I will look at it this morning and figure out what I am going to do. I really appreciate your input. I have never used por before so I am not familiar with it. I will do some research and might go that direction with it coated and then relined with metal.

Thanks again guys your input is always appreciated!

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
That paper thin trough is the barrier to the cab so you will have to consider how to do the repairs without damaging wiring, etc

Probably need to brace the bottom of the windshield support to the front part of the cowl / firewall so you maintain the proper dimensions.

Then cut that trough out and replace it.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
No worries there. I have this thing gutted. I have repaired or replaced all of the sheet metal in the body from the firewall back. I did some patching on the front core and thought I was almost done until I looked up under the cowl cover and found this mess.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I had a very similare experience.

Almost ready to paint the engine bay, noticed a little rust on cowl cover, next thing I'm chop, cut, rebuild.

Good lucj with the repairs.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks , unfortunately I think I am going to need a little more than luck.