• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need front fender removal help

santana-911

Loc.
Mesilla, NM
Today is the day, so before I go removing something or doing something wrong, can one of the master Jedi's send me a link or any info as to "how to remove front (L &R) fenders, the correct way" please. First time doing this, wrench in hand and cold beer.....help:eek:

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Remove the grill (or at least the bolts between the grill and the fenders).
Remove the fenders. There are three screws that you can access by opening the door. Other than that, just look for bolts that connect the fenders to the front clip and hope that they aren't too rusted. There is also a small support at the lower rear part of the fenders that you will have to undo. It isn't that hard - just plow ahead! Now the rear fenders - those are a bit harder. ;D

OP
OP
santana-911

santana-911

Loc.
Mesilla, NM
Devin. thanks...I can turn a wrench, but just didnt know where to start. Any clown can unbolt anything, but I just want to do it correct. Thanks and any other help is great..

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Don't know of any how to's. It is pretty straight forward. There are bolts at the top of the fenders, a couple of braces at the bottom front and rear, a couple behind the front of the door where the fender meets the door post, and bolts where the fender meets the grille. You shouldn't need to yank on them to get them off, so if they don't feel like they want to come off easy start looking for another bolt somewhere. Also depending on year you need to disconnect your side marker lights. Have fun. You may want to hit them with some penetrating lube first as they tend to rust up and break the clips.

Edit: And post up some pics of your progress. It's what we live for around here.:D

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Make sure you get some wd40 on them first to loosen them up. Also, I would remove the fenders and grill as 1 piece. Much easier to take off the 2 top bolts that connect the grill and fenders this way.

Another thing, if you can clean the bolts before removal with a wire wheel, it will keep them from getting stuck in the clips. Eye protection is good with this method.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Any suggestions if you break the clips holding the grill to the fender?:cry:

Yep. Get some new ones! Not sure what your rig looks like, but you may want to replace all that hardware if it's rusty. You can even get stainless bolts.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Do yourself a favor and get new bolts and clips no matter what your old ones look like.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Make sure you get some wd40 on them first to loosen them up. Also, I would remove the fenders and grill as 1 piece. Much easier to take off the 2 top bolts that connect the grill and fenders this way.

Another thing, if you can clean the bolts before removal with a wire wheel, it will keep them from getting stuck in the clips. Eye protection is good with this method.

X2 unless the all the bolts come out real easy. The top 2 are usually pretty hard and taking the front clip off as a unit and laying it upsidedown makes it easier to get to them.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
Once you get it all apart, use some of this on all fasteners and you'll never have a problem removing them. I use it on just about everything from exhaust bolts, carb bolts, lug nuts, seat belt bolts, and the list goes on. Works great, I highly recommend it.

Regular_M(p82ts3).gif

One example: I had a set of headers once that would keep blowing the gasket out at the head. I finally used some nickel based never-seez on the bolts and never had a problem after that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they all said. Right down to the Anti-Seize/Never-Seize stuff. Just a moderate amount goes a long way. I use it on a lot of fasteners and I'm still using the same can my dad bought in about 1970! Little dab'll do ya.

One trick I've found for some of the easier to access bolts, if the speed nut snaps off when you try to loosen it. Before you break out the cut-off wheel, try grabbing the threaded end of the insert super tight with a pair of Vise-Grip type pliers.
You might slightly bugger the threads on the bolt, but at least it'll come out.
Sometimes the bolts jam up due to rust, some times they just spin because the threads inside the insert are stripped. Either way, with a little penetrating lube and judicious use of clamping pliers, the bolt should still come out without surgery.

Sorry if that sounded confusing. It's not really. You'll see what I mean if you run into a broken speed nut.

Paul