• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need gears and lockers (tru trac or arb)

Dfroman

I would appreciate input as to whether the quotes I received are fair.
I have done everything else on my bronco, but do not have the time to do this For minimal down time, I think paying for this upgrade is necessary.
I have 351w, c4 and 3.50 gears on 35's
Thanks
David

TRUE TRAC QUOTE

--- Labor/Notes ---
$480.00 REGEAR FRONT AXLE
$400.00 REGEAR REAR AXLE
$80.00 CHANGE FRONT AXLE U JOINTS
$160.00 CHANGE REAR AXLE SHAFT
--- Parts ---
$170.00 D44 4.56 GEAR
$120.00 D44 MASTER INSTALL
$170.00 9" 4.56 GEAR
$95.00 9" MASTER INSTALL
$480.00 D44 TRUE-TRAC
$570.00 9" TRUE-TRAC
$35.00 80W-90 GEAR OIL
--- Charge/Misc ---
$44.30 UPS
------------------------------
$1,120.00 Labor
$1,640.00 Parts
$0.00 Sublet
$30.00 Shop/Enviroment Fee
$0.00 Charges
$110.70 Sales Tax (Tax @ $1,640.00 * 6.7500%)
$2,945.00 Estimate

ARB QUOTE

--- Labor/Notes ---
$520.00 REGEAR FRONT AXLE
$420.00 REGEAR REAR AXLE
$80.00 CHANGE FRONT AXLE U JOINTS
$160.00 CHANGE REAR AXLE SHAFT
$240.00 WIRE AND PLUMB ARB (THIS CAN CHANGE)
--- Parts ---
$170.00 D44 4.56 GEAR
$120.00 D44 MASTER INSTALL
$170.00 9" 4.56 GEAR
$95.00 9" MASTER INSTALL
$920.00 D44 ARB
$950.00 9" ARB
$35.00 80W-90 GEAR OIL
--- Charge/Misc ---
$43.95 UPS
$1,420.00 Labor
$2,460.00 Parts
$0.00 Sublet
$30.00 Shop/Enviroment Fee
$0.00 Charges
$166.05 Sales Tax (Tax @ $2,460.00 * 6.7500%)
$4,120.00 Estimate

The only thing I forgot to add to the quote was rear axle shafts which will cost $300 with bearings, studs etc and the spicer u joints for the front axle. They’ll probably cost about $50 give or take $20.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Wow. That is quite a list. I am using a Detroit Tru-Trac in the front. I am afraid the positive lock up of the ARB (like Detroit and Grizzly) could snap front axles under the right/wrong conditions. Hoping the Tru Trac gives me a little cushion "and" good traction.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Why the different price in the front and rear axle gear setups between the Tru Trac and ARB? It's not much but why the difference? I think the price on the ARB's are a bit high. I think I paid somewhere around $600-$700 for mine 5-6 years ago. Mine are D60's but I can't imagine yours should be $300+ more. I don't know how much the Tru Trac's are but if the ARB is that high I'm sure the Tru Trac is too.

I just looked on e-bay for a D44 ARB. WOW they have gone up!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
ARB's gernerally go for around $1K
Those qoutes are about right but I would really consider doing the rear axle yourself its not that hard pickup a used center section and get the rest of your parts once you have the gears setup then you can tear into your bronco and have it all swapped out in a few hours. You just wont be able to use 4wd until the front is done. I would also suggest upgrading the rear axle shafts to 31spline as 35in tires and more traction are a killer for old stock 28 spline axles. Opps looks like you do have rear axles shafts listed at the bottom.
Of course there are places that will sell you center sections all setup already as well and again you could do the swap out yourself.

OP
OP
Dfroman

Dfroman

Thanks for the feed back. I found a few places on ebay that will sell the drop out with different lockers, but I did not see any that would pre set up an arb in a 9"

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^all the Bronco vendors will sell their products setup. For example you can buy a rebuilt 9" third member with all new locker, gears, bearings, fully setup and shipped from TBP and probably WH.

I think it comes down to which type of diff you would prefer. The ARB's are obviously for serious wheeling while the TrueTrac is more for all purpose set it and forget it type of use...

I don't want to diminish the TrueTrac capabilities, with 35's, an AT tranny, and TrueTrac's you'd be strongly built for a very wide range of wheeling situations and do just fine. It's only in very slick stuff like deep mud, or big rock crawling (lifting tires), where the TrueTrac's will really fall short. So if this is the kind of wheeling you do, go ARB... Also, I don't see the ARB compressor on your price list.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I know it seems overwhelming but it really is not hard, maybe a weekend per axle at the most. The 9 inch is about as easy as it gets. I put a detroit in the 9 with 4.88s and an Aussie in the front with 4.86.

You will need:
shop press
dial indicator with magnetic base
Torque wrench that goes to 220ft lbs
and air tools help but not required things like a die grinder and impact whench.

If you want to do it PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
You will need:
shop press
dial indicator with magnetic base
Torque wrench that goes to 220ft lbs
and air tools help but not required things like a die grinder and impact whench.
Inch/pound torque beam wrench
D44 setup bearings or a high-quality bearing puller

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ouch.. makes me not want to have to pay for that..

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Inch/pound torque beam wrench
D44 setup bearings or a high-quality bearing puller

Right! I forgot the inch pound Tq wrench! You do not need setup bearing though. Just take a grinding bit to the inside of your old bearing untill the are snug not tight or loose and use them. way cheaper and takes 5 min. That way it's a simple and easy task of 3 tries max with your final bearings and shim pack.

OP
OP
Dfroman

Dfroman

I have really thought about doing the 9", (will continue to consider)
as for the compressor, I will probably be getting one even if I go with tru trac
as for the hard core stuff, I do not plan on getting rock rash (but who does) I have a winch and I do just fine so far even open. I know I need gears and it is one of those "while I am at it" deals. based on everything and cost, I think my best bet would be to buy a drop in 9" with tru trac and then have someone do the dana 44 (a split between saving money and time)
thanks again guys.

MarkH@Wildhorse

Contributor
Loc.
Stockton, CA
^all the Bronco vendors will sell their products setup. For example you can buy a rebuilt 9" third member with all new locker, gears, bearings, fully setup and shipped from TBP and probably WH.

I think it comes down to which type of diff you would prefer. The ARB's are obviously for serious wheeling while the TrueTrac is more for all purpose set it and forget it type of use...

I don't want to diminish the TrueTrac capabilities, with 35's, an AT tranny, and TrueTrac's you'd be strongly built for a very wide range of wheeling situations and do just fine. It's only in very slick stuff like deep mud, or big rock crawling (lifting tires), where the TrueTrac's will really fall short. So if this is the kind of wheeling you do, go ARB... Also, I don't see the ARB compressor on your price list.

That's correct we so sell a complete, setup, ready to go 3rd member.
The cost does add up as we use the aftermarket nodular 3rd members when we set them up because the stock 3rd is known to crack.

gambling209

my local guy usually will set the stuff up for free in a 9in , if you buy the stuff from him. don't know about the d44. the 9in is not that hard. done a few myself. you can probably borrow the torque wrenches from your local autoparts store.

Amac70

ME
I think the labor prices are a bit high, i was in a crunch last year and had to pay for my front to be done. even rushing the guy it was only 200 for the install. There should be no charge for the axle labor imo they have to pull them to rebuild the the third shouldn't charge 160 to slide new axles in instead of old ones. If you want air lockers i would also look into a yukon zip locker for front about 300 cheaper then arb. the rear end should also be significantly cheaper to do. even on a bad day it only takes about 2hr 3 at most to pull rebuild and install, if you know what your doing

OP
OP
Dfroman

Dfroman

I thought the labor looked high as well.
I am currently pricing out the parts to see what the savings will be if I decide to do it myself.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I got all of that done for 300 labor total. He charged 50 and hour and did it all in 6 hours. 4 hrs for the front, 2 hrs for the rear.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I set up a 9" the other day in 1 hour and it was my first time, I had only watched a youtube video. That time does not include pulling or reinstalling the chunk.