• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ordering gears and axles... do i need anyting else

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
When I did my gear swap, I’d had no clue…still not sure if I have one..I put a call in to Randy’s Ring and Pinion. They put everything I needed in a box and shipped it to me, and their how to book. Did the swap myself, the 9 first, break the ice because it’s easy…
Was years ago but they’re still around, give them a call…

thanks! How'd it go? any idea what id need to spend on specialty parts/tools if I chose to do it myself?

PaveBronco

Went well, the 9 is a breeze...cheap dial indicator and mag base/Q wrench's, press, harbor freight is your friend....internet, Extreme 4x4 (spike TV show) gear swap episode…
wallow out the inside of the old bearings so you can just slip them on and off to get your shimms set up, before you press the new bearing on..

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I did both mine. As stated, the 9 is easy where as the D44 is more of a pain than being hard. The D44 just takes more time as in it took me all day. Had the carrier in and out maybe 20 times trying to get pinion depth right.

I used this for the 9 (spend the money for a solid spacer and ditch the crush sleeve. makes the rebuild even easier)
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/9/065/article/Ford_9_Inch_RebuildGear_Setup.html

And this for the D44 (note it's for a D60 but it's all the same)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

You need setup bearings for the D44. No real way around that. Dial indicator and mag base, shop press, bearing puller, seal/race driver, set of calipers and a few hand tools. Also nice to have a helper.

Tim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
wallow out the inside of the old bearings so you can just slip them on and off to get your shimms set up, before you press the new bearing on..

Only if the bearings are in good shape. You don't want to use worn out bearings for this. Mine were JUNK so I used true setup bearings.

Tim