• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Hand E-Brake Ideas

rubiconbronco

Loc.
Placerville, CA
I'm looking for any ideas for putting in a hand e-brake in my bronco. would like to have located near the stock position. I have stuff in the way on the floor which prevents me from using a mustang set up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It sounds like you want an under dash mounted, hand operated park brake...

2 versions come to mind. A pull type like found on early mustangs and as new as Nissan pickups up until a year or so ago. This is a pull out to engage and twist to release.
The other is a flip style. Handle with about a 90° swing to it. I took one off a golf cart and used it as a parking brake on my pickup bed trailer. I have also seen them on schoold busses as a kid. Another location I saw one was a motorhome with the driveshaft parking brake drum.

From what I remember the pull type is good for lots of travel, but needs a lever to cut down on travel and make enough force.

OP
OP
R

rubiconbronco

Loc.
Placerville, CA
I'm not a mustang person, but how does the 65 work? it looks like what I want but trying to figure out how the cable attachs. No early mustangs where I live to look at

Broncobowsher

Total hack
rubiconbronco said:
I'm not a mustang person, but how does the 65 work? it looks like what I want but trying to figure out how the cable attachs. No early mustangs where I live to look at

The '67 I once had....
The parking brake was a handle under the dash that you pulled toward you. Twist to the right to release the ratcheting pawl.
If it wasn't the end of lunch I would go hunt down a Mustang restoration website for you. Since I better get back to work I wil let you look one up. Find one that has an online catalog with pictures and that should get you started. How well it fits in a Bronco I don't know. Never thought about doing it that way before. It will require custome fabrication no matter what.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
You might wanna consider one from a Fiero, It pulls up from the floor like a regular handle, then when you let go it falls back to the floor out of the way.
made to go on the left side of the drivers seat.

might be a good theft deterrent as well. since it will look like the brake is not on.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Toyota pu also have one
the mustang cable has a ball on the end goes in the end of the handle

Frankenhorse

Loc.
Smyrna,TN
I would have to say the Toyota idea is good. I believe the bar from the T-handle back is shorter then mustangs. It would also be easier and cheeper to find. I would say $5 at the u-pull. Maybe even the Toyota yard in Rancho ;)

Dawg_enD

I had a 79 Chevy Luv as my first vehicle, still miss that truck....

Anyway, it has a similar pull out, rotate 90 degrees for release setup. So there's another possible donor.

OP
OP
R

rubiconbronco

Loc.
Placerville, CA
all the suggestions are great. The issue on these examples is how the cam lever works and will it adapt to the stock bronco cable. I think this weekend is trip to the yards in dayton or rancho.

michael welch

Loc.
kent, washington
I've been reading these post and want to chime in. I've built mine a few years ago. I used a 63 ford pu type and mounted it to the right side of the column, it was a purty simply swap,all I had to do was add a little lenth to the mounting bracket so it would bolted on to the bottom of the dash. A 5/8" hole for the cable and to smaller holes for the studs that bolted it to the firewall,the cable from the foot brake interchanged to the hand brake. The handle is a little different than the mustangs because it's centered "T" handle were as the mustangs is more "L" shaped, looks the same but offset. You can by new mustang handles but the truck stile I not found any yet (mine is in good shape) the "T" handle (63 truck) is easier to grab and is of a stronger design. Now I must explan that I built the set-up a few years ago and it all mock-up but I have not used it yet because its unfinished,My only ? is if the transfer bar underneth needs a different ratio because you are going from a foot to hand operation.Your foot can apply more preasure. Will cross that bridge when I get there.But it looks very factory and is out of the way for roll bar.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
roundhouse said:
You might wanna consider one from a Fiero, It pulls up from the floor like a regular handle, then when you let go it falls back to the floor out of the way.
made to go on the left side of the drivers seat.

might be a good theft deterrent as well. since it will look like the brake is not on.

I've been thinking about doing this one for years. That spot to the left of the drivers seat is perfect for a Fiero lever.
'yota Mr-2s have a lever that works just like the fieros.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
I was going to ceg. the MR2 I put one in my 58 works very well the cable is wrong and mite get in the way of the side tank but it does have a e-brake light on it.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
85 & 86 MR2 are on the left 87-89 are on the right and come in black, blue and tan