• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help mounting the 23 gal tank

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I will probably have to have the exhaust redone which I just did last year, but I know I have seen exahusts exit in the same place. I am hoping has a good suggestion of how I should strap it down. Also I know there is a spot on the passenger side back that is close to the exhaust. I was going to put some stuff we have at work for that exact problem.

Thanks
100_5058.jpg

100_5056.jpg

100_5057.jpg

100_5059.jpg

100_5060.jpg

100_5062.jpg

100_5055-1.jpg

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Anyone? If I have to cut and reposition the exhaust, where should I have it exit so it does not get hit by the suspension?

broncobliss

Loc.
Half Moon Bay
I ran into a similar problem with my 77. I cut the J-bolt shorter, flexed the exhaust enough to get the tank strap in there and then bolted it. Another option would be to run on the side tank and take the Bronco to the exhaust shop and have it heated and bent out of the way before the tank gets installed. Lastly, have you thought about a body lift? if you have one planned anyway it may be an option, this will move the tank up higher and out of the way, you have the right tank for this option.

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
I am running out of time for the Non-event so I am going to sideline this until I get back.

I can heat and bend it, but I will run into an issue of clearance for the leaf springs.

With this tank a body lift doesn't do you any good because the ledge on the tank will hit the cross member. Since I have a 2" body lift I actually had to weld on 2" on the tank spacers.

Thanks
Martin

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Hmm... I just installed my 23 gallon tank, but it doesn't use straps or j-bolts. It went right to the frame with mounting tabs. My drivers side pipe was a bit tight, but I repositioned the hanger and pulled it away about 1.5" at closest.

Can you cut the pipe short and not take it all the way out to the side?

viperchief

Loc.
Layton, Utah
I ran mine straight back without the last bend. I can't post pix here but I uploaded some into my gallery if you want to take a look.

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Sound like you have the Aero tank and not the NW tank.

As to cutting the exhaust that is a possibility. The question I have is would it cause exhaust to go into the cab?

viperchief

Loc.
Layton, Utah
I do get some fumes inside with the top on but I think it is because I don't have the seal between the tailgate and the bed installed. With the top off, no problem. I like it for rock crawling because my angle of departure is not affected and the suspension can flex as much as needed. I suppose you could have a temporary extension that could be slipped on when the top is up. I had the guys at the local Meineke bend some new tube from the muffler back when I put the tank on because the exhaust contacted the tank and hit the leaf springs when they started to droop.

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Same thing as Viperchief - I lopped my off short before the rocks could seal one shut for me. I run the hardtop each winter, and haven't really smelled exhaust in the cab before (I know, it's the carbon monoxide you gotta worry about, and it doesn't have an odor, but believe me... Bronco exhaust HAS an odor)!

In the summer, I run open without the hardtop, so it's not a worry at all then.

And yes, I got the Aero tank! Works perfectly!

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Just thought of something that might work....
Any reason you cant cut a hole on the inside of the frame rail to hang the J-bolts inboard of the exhaust?
Go go Gaget plasma!

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Ok I think I at least have a temporary solution. I cut the bolt and sliped it over. The bad thing is the pipe is touching the strap. I am hoping between it being at the end of the pipe and the insulation I attached to the strap that I will not have any heat problems. The insulation is some scraps from work that we use in heat application. The stuff is ceramic fiber (like what I use in my Forge, but a lot thinner) and the sticky back once stuck doesn't come off. Well guess I will find out.
100_5063.jpg

100_5064.jpg

100_5066.jpg

100_5068.jpg

OP
OP
RedLeg0811

RedLeg0811

Loc.
Maltby, WA
Just thought of something that might work....
Any reason you cant cut a hole on the inside of the frame rail to hang the J-bolts inboard of the exhaust?
Go go Gaget plasma!

Hehehe, Plasma I love my plasma cutter.

I'll come back and change it when I am not in a rush.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the inside of the frame rail would be a bit tight, but I haven't tried it myself, so can't say for sure.
One possible permanent fix would be to drill and tap the frame (or use weld-nuts like a friend did) and just bend the strap in slightly and use a bolt. If you get real creative you could even extend the strap so that it meets up directly at the frame, rather than leaving a gap.
But the bolt thing would get you by until a better idea comes along.

Paul

viperchief

Loc.
Layton, Utah
Pix

Became a contributer and thought I would upload the pix...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 22
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 21

msommer001

Looks like you have a few options to improve the installation. Other above have already said it but I echo their comments.

Weld a tab to the frame so you can move the strap bolt to the inside of the frame rail. Add tabs to the tank that allow direct bolted connection to the frame.