• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help! No fuel but some fuel???

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I went down to crank the bronco to let it run for a couple of min like I do once a week if I haven't been driving it. It cranked up and ran nicely and then started stumbling and shut off. So I cranked it back up but it seem to not want to start. There was fuel pump thru the see thru fuel filter, but it would splash up and fill up and then would go away. It seems to be a fuel problem, because I pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump that is coming from the tank, and there was no fuel coming from the tank or the pump. So I blowed some air into the tank and fuel started coming from the fuel line from the tank. Any ideas? The fuel pump is brand new. Let me know what your thoughts are on no fuel coming from the tank side of the pump.
Thanks,

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Only running it for a couple of minutes?

Are you trying to wear out the engine?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What do you mean by "new" fuel pump?
If it's brand new, that's one thing. But if by new you mean it's low mileage but has been on the truck for more than a year, you might just be working with a very weak pump.
They hate sitting once they've been used and have gas in them. Especially higher ethanol mixes.

And sykanrOng is referring to your method of running the engine. What you're doing is most definitely NOT good for any engine. Not unless you drive it for extended periods several times for every couple of times of just running it.
Some of the things that happen are that in just a few minutes you might not recharge the battery fully, but the big thing is that your oil never has a chance to warm up enough to keep moisture at bay and the acids that result from inside your crankcase. Things just don't expand and heat up enough with just a few minutes of running.

If you only have limited time to run the engine, I would leave it off and only turn it on when you can drive it for at least a half an hour at a time. All other times just put a batter-tender on it to keep the battery topped off without the drain of the starter messing with it.

That's my take on it anyway. Maybe others have more knowledge of proper procedures, but definitely make sure you're warming things up fully when you run it.

Paul

OP
OP
Mill KNOB

Mill KNOB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
What do you mean by "new" fuel pump?
If it's brand new, that's one thing. But if by new you mean it's low mileage but has been on the truck for more than a year, you might just be working with a very weak pump.
They hate sitting once they've been used and have gas in them. Especially higher ethanol mixes.

And sykanrOng is referring to your method of running the engine. What you're doing is most definitely NOT good for any engine. Not unless you drive it for extended periods several times for every couple of times of just running it.
Some of the things that happen are that in just a few minutes you might not recharge the battery fully, but the big thing is that your oil never has a chance to warm up enough to keep moisture at bay and the acids that result from inside your crankcase. Things just don't expand and heat up enough with just a few minutes of running.

If you only have limited time to run the engine, I would leave it off and only turn it on when you can drive it for at least a half an hour at a time. All other times just put a batter-tender on it to keep the battery topped off without the drain of the starter messing with it.

That's my take on it anyway. Maybe others have more knowledge of proper procedures, but definitely make sure you're warming things up fully when you run it.

Paul

Thanks for the advice. I never knew all theses years that cranking one up and letting it sit and idle for couple minutes. Thanks again, I also think it could be the fuel pump that has went south.

rwill

I have fought this before. If original tank I would look at the in tank screen from what you describe it sounds like it is clogged I
would repeat blowing in the line if this happens again. then drop and clean out tank.

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
Maybe the gas tank is not venting and slowly drawing a negative pressure, and a weak fuel pump. Perhaps an insect build a nest blocking?

I wouldn't run your engine for only a few minutes...your actually hurting it doing that.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check all your fuel hose connections. make sure the hose is in good condition and hose clamps are not loose or leaking. sometimes fuel hoses will allow the fuel pump to suck air in and not fuel. More than likely you have a fuel supply issue between the pump and into the tank. If you blow air in and then fuel flows something was in the way. Maybe something stuck at the fuel tank switch valve under the seat.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
^^^
Like Rustytruck said. Air can leak into the suction line and the pump will loose its prime.
I've even had the manual selector cause that problem. You know when the packing leaks and makes your cab smell like gas? Air can also leak into the valve.
There is usually a little air trapped in the filter, but if you see bubbles coming in, then it's either a leak or boiling fuel.

berg bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
franklin NC
I would make sure you shut it off at stop lights to just to be safe....hate for that thing to just idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk