• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help, replacing floor support

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Hi all,

I need help/direction on how to replace the floor support panel on the driver side floorboard. It is the one the body mount bolts thru, it's trashed and the floorboards are trashed. I need to know how to go about doing this so I don't f&@# anything up. Any instruction or tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance,

John

OP
OP
thesnake

thesnake

Bronco Guru
anybody? Sure could use some help on this!!! Thanks!!!

John

broncorick

support replacement

No easy answer but the way I replaced mine was to leave the roof bolted on the windshield and using an engine hoist, pick up the roof/windshield/door post assembly until I returned the opening to normal dimensions. I cut the floor support out at the anble and welded in. I found the key is to support the structure from above.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
thesnake said:
anybody? Sure could use some help on this!!! Thanks!!!

John

John, post up some pics of where you are at and I will try and help all I can. Do you have a welder???

OP
OP
thesnake

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Johnny,

Thanks for the offer. I don't have a welder. Only time I flirted with a welder was in California in Jr. High and I burned a hole in my project lol...

Once I know I've got some free time coming up, I'll shoot you a pm. I started stripping off the front fenders (not alot of room to work around). I'll take a pic of the support saturday (my one day off - providing my wife doesn't have anything planned) and I'll either post it or email it to you, I'll also take one of the floors, so you know what I'm working with.

John

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
If your thought about working on the Bronco preceded your wifes suggestions...then go with your thought...go with your thought regardless :) Take pics, have fun, drink BEER, and let me know if you need help...
Don't work too hard,
:p

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
buy a MIG

. the wire feed is fairly easy to get used to quickly. can get a decent little lincoln that'll handle most everything an amateur welder would do from HD or lowes for a reasonable price, and then another 100/120 for a bottle setup. it'll pay for itself quickly if you have any interest in repairs and/or fabbing up some parts (bumpers, brackets, consoles, gloveboxes, rollcages...). just practice on some scrap for awhile before you put the heat to anything that matters. and get a helmet, preferably auto darkening, that too will pay for itself (as opposed to the mask), you'll want both hands. and i'd recommend against the lure of any of the cheap wire feeds that don't have gas setup for MIG.

just my $.02.

i've only had to replace portions of mine and only flat sheet to date. if ya need to replace any of the stamped pieces, i'd say spend the money and buy them. stronger and made to fit (things like body mount bolts). if its just a trail rig, get some 16ga sheet (could maybe go lighter but i like 16 for most anything), a cutting wheel w/ some cutting disks, and a small welder and go to town. before you cut anything out that will allow anything else to loose shape, weld some scrap angle or something whereever you need to to hold the shapes. keep us posted