• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help /w dana 30 rebuild

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Now that my kingpin drama is solved, Ive realized Im going to have to pull the front diff carrier & ring gear. Naturally that will mess up the settings, so I need a link or a scan of the d30 axle specs (just stuff for gear setup, not necessarily torque specs). I have a 71 manual, which only covers the 44. Can anyone help me out here?

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
If all you're removing is the carrier & not the pinion gear the settings aren't disturbed . It comes out the same as a D44 too .

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Are you changing gears or bearings? If not then you shouldn't need to change the setup. It would be a good idea to check the pattern when it is put back together though to be sure. Also keep the races with the bearings they were originally installed on.

Setting up a D44 will be almost identical to doing it with a D30. There are differences at the knuckle but other than that the D44 is just a larger version of the D30.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
If you need it ill photocopy the whole section on the dana 30 out of my 68 factory shop manual and send it to you. What is it that you need to know, maybe I can just look it up and tell you?

OP
OP
agent_orange_71

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
Thanks guys, Classicbroncos to the rescue yet again. I dont see any reason to change the bearings. Everything looks like new, except for the inner axle seals which are absolutely pouring oil :mad: So maybe I wont need the specs unless I find something wrong in the differential itself. *Breathes a sigh of relief*

mta--I may send you a PM about sending me that stuff if I run into anything funky

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
agent_orange_71 said:
Thanks guys, Classicbroncos to the rescue yet again. I dont see any reason to change the bearings. Everything looks like new, except for the inner axle seals which are absolutely pouring oil :mad: So maybe I wont need the specs unless I find something wrong in the differential itself. *Breathes a sigh of relief*

mta--I may send you a PM about sending me that stuff if I run into anything funky
Be sure to lock-tite and torque the carrier cap bolts to specs when it is reassembled. About 75 ft. lbs. is common but I would look it up to make sure.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Someone may have put an outside seal in the inside, same OD, different, larger ID. Slide the new one on the axle before putting it in the housing. I know that because i didnt do that on the outside seal and drove it into the housing and the axle didnt fit so I had to buy another correct one even though the parts guy gave me the inside seal by mistake