• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Help Wiring New Fuse Panel

JCBombardier

I bought a generic fuse panel from NAPA to replace my 1970 stock panel. Will this panel work? It doesn't appear that it will let me differentiate between constant hot and switch hot like the stock panel is set up.

I'm not very good with electrical so any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

47024764b4646232b70b224498340abf.jpg

35ceb779009167dd64f6c428087c13f8.jpg

1dc797e172943c13baf200f97e99c346.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah JCB, for the best results you'll need one with the 2 bussbars like sanndmann posted. There are many different styles and brands though too, so if the nice one he linked to is larger than you want, you can probably find one smaller.

Surprising how good your wires look too, inside the old rusty block.
Can you do us a favor while you're taking pics? Post up a shot of the front of the block with it's markings and open ports and such. We're using them for reference and have some from '73 and other years, but I don't think we have a '70.

Thanks

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Right - you'd need 2 of those to have one constantly powered, and one switched. Or you could try to modify that one (risking ruining it), or you could shop for a different fuse block. I like OE blocks from newer JY vehicles.

OP
OP
J

JCBombardier

Yeah JCB, for the best results you'll need one with the 2 bussbars like sanndmann posted. There are many different styles and brands though too, so if the nice one he linked to is larger than you want, you can probably find one smaller.

Surprising how good your wires look too, inside the old rusty block.
Can you do us a favor while you're taking pics? Post up a shot of the front of the block with it's markings and open ports and such. We're using them for reference and have some from '73 and other years, but I don't think we have a '70.

Thanks

Paul

If I use a fuse block with 2 bussbars, will I still need to wire the instrument lights separate since they run off the headlight switch? Or am I reading it incorrectly?

Below is a pic of the front of the block. I'm very fortunate that most of the wiring is in good shape and doesn't appear to have ever been modified or had new accessories added. It's a shame I can't salvage this block or that no vendors sell a factory replacement.

Thanks for your help!

50078e11e2e164a8213de46e2294c6ac.jpg

69134a8f161de39e83d6e55421e36a14.jpg

OP
OP
J

JCBombardier

Right - you'd need 2 of those to have one constantly powered, and one switched. Or you could try to modify that one (risking ruining it), or you could shop for a different fuse block. I like OE blocks from newer JY vehicles.

Have you found any specific OE blocks that are easier to use than others?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey thanks for the great pics.
You're right to ask about the lights. They are on their own fused circuit through the original block, but not on a bussbar. It might be worth it to just figure on running an individual inline fuse for the instrument lights.
Never used another OE block myself. Played with plenty of them, but none that tickled my fancy enough to use them in an EB. I'm sure others have, but it's hit or miss and all on how you want it wired, how big (most newer ones are huge compared to the EB) and how much trouble you want to go through to re-wire an OE one.

The good thing about sourcing a Ford fuse panel though, would be that many of the wires could be cut farther out and spliced into your existing wires. Since many of them are probably the same color codes, butt splices would be easier than de-soldering, then re-soldering all the ends.
Someone may have some helpful info regarding that.

I think that some of the manufacturers were toying with the idea of new reproduction fuse blocks, but the demand is still pretty low for it. Given all the aftermarket stuff that's better, bigger and uses the modern blade type fuses, most people opt to go down that route.
But with more and more restorations happening, you might see something eventually. Luckily more than just the EB used virtually the same fuse block. So demand might increase enough to make it worth it. If they're not already...
Have you done a deep search to see if something like that is being produced for say, Mustangs or pickup trucks?

Cleaning a complete old one is much easier now. Simply soak it in a bowl of EvapoRust overnight and you have an almost good as new fuse holder. Unfortunately for you, looks like the rust has really had it's way with some of the contacts. As in gone completely!
Looks like it was buried in beach sand for awhile?

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Have you found any specific OE blocks that are easier to use than others?
The late-90s-early-00s Ford blocks are plentiful (cheap), easy, and available with all 3 common fuse types (APM, APR, APX), so I usually start looking for one of those with the shape & the number of fuses I need. Some also include ISO & mini-ISO relay sockets, so that's another option.

I collected these for a floor console in Frank's '75 that never got built: