• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help wiring wiper switch

RobS

Loc.
Utica, MI
I know there are tons of threads about wiring switches for wipers but I am a total newbie and cannot find any info on how the wiring actually runs from the switch. I though my switch would have some sort of diagram but it came with nothing. I have the 4 wires coming from the wiper motor (black, red, blue and white) I think I know where the red (motor power, terminal b) blue (high speed, terminal f) and white (low speed, terminal d) go. Does the black get grounded to the switch? If so what terminal, or does it just get grounded to the truck frame? The rest I am in the dark, I know I need to run a wire to my fuse box also. Also I need to connect my washer motor wires to the wiper switch also, anyone that can shed some light on this project would be greatly appreciated.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Ok,

Too many people are worried about a "ground" off of the Plug.

You wont find one there. The wiper motor grounds to the windshield frame & the pump grounds to the inner fenderwell.

Here is a thread where I have gone over this before, but to simplify it a bit:

Electrons come from fuse panel to switch via the orange/white. All that the switch does is send the electrons on their way (no grounding the switch needed)! The first fig is of the switch and the second is the motor.

With the switch in park, the Red & Black wires get power. In the park position, inside the motor, the red wire is an open circuit, so no power to the motor from there. The black powers the motor to return the wipers until they reach the start & push a switch inside the motor to ground the black wire to the body of the wiper motor.

The blue & white wires respectively power the high & low functions of the motor.

Here is another thread on it.

Let me know if these don't help.

Bill

Attachments

• WiperSwitchPlug[1].jpg
    WiperSwitchPlug[1].jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Slide1[3].JPG
    Slide1[3].JPG
    29 KB · Views: 51
  • Slide2[3].JPG
    Slide2[3].JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 50

broncobilly_69

Loc.
Lebanon
MnkyBiz said:
Ok,

Too many people are worried about a "ground" off of the Plug.

You wont find one there. The wiper motor grounds to the windshield frame & the pump grounds to the inner fenderwell.

Here is a thread where I have gone over this before, but to simplify it a bit:

Electrons come from fuse panel to switch via the orange/white. All that the switch does is send the electrons on their way (no grounding the switch needed)! The first fig is of the switch and the second is the motor.

With the switch in park, the Red & Black wires get power. In the park position, inside the motor, the red wire is an open circuit, so no power to the motor from there. The black powers the motor to return the wipers until they reach the start & push a switch inside the motor to ground the black wire to the body of the wiper motor.

The blue & white wires respectively power the high & low functions of the motor.

Here is another thread on it.

Let me know if these don't help.

Bill
The Intermittent wiper swith from James Duff's comes with a ground wire coming off of the switch housing. With it disconnected the wipers only turn very slowly when swithced to high speed and do nothing on low speed. Not that I have gotten the wipers to work properly with the ground wire attacted but that is another thread.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Are you talking about the switch or the control box? IF the CB, then yes there is a ground off of the box, but the switch just relay's power.

broncobilly_69

Loc.
Lebanon
It's the swith, part that goes into the dash with the knob on it. Although the control box doesn't have a ground so maybe it grounds through the swithes ground.