• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need hydroboost help BAD!!

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
I'm loading my bronco to head to Superlift and notice the brakes are dragging. When I crank the truck the pedal pulls down an inch or so and when I rev it it pulls down alittle more.. It has been working great for a couple months now.. what gives?
I have developed a leak at the steering gearbox input.. Is this the problem?
Explorer serp pump, asto booster. Tee in the return.. stait shot from HB angle side from the steerin box..
Thanks, I need to get this fixed yesterday:-[

Edit.. I put a washer between the master cyl and the HB to mimic a shorter pushrod.. No luck

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I always had a problem with the t in line. Running the same setup, but I drilled a hole in the side of the reservoir and tapped it for a brass fitting. Used teflon tape and a rubber o-ring and had no problems. It's mounted right above the full level.

OP
OP
bronco-billy-66

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
I always had a problem with the t in line. Running the same setup, but I drilled a hole in the side of the reservoir and tapped it for a brass fitting. Used teflon tape and a rubber o-ring and had no problems. It's mounted right above the full level.

Did yours have the same symptoms as mine.. TIA

OP
OP
bronco-billy-66

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
I pulled the master cyl. as soon as i crank the truck the pushrod comes all the way out.. it returns when i kill the truck
I there a valve that could be stuck or something??

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Common problem is pushrod too long. You can space them out a little more to test.

OP
OP
bronco-billy-66

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi

Whew!! That did it!! Thanks for the replies guys..
I drilled and tapped it like you said. Seems to work like its suppose to..Thanks a million, not sure why it all the sudden decided it didn't like the tee. But its gone now.
I will post in every Hydroboost thread I read, that Tee's are :mad:EVIL:mad:

I'm loaded up, headed to superlift ORV at 4am.. WOO HOO;D

Thanks again

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
Whew!! That did it!! Thanks for the replies guys..
I drilled and tapped it like you said. Seems to work like its suppose to..Thanks a million, not sure why it all the sudden decided it didn't like the tee. But its gone now.
I will post in every Hydroboost thread I read, that Tee's are :mad:EVIL:mad:

I'm loaded up, headed to superlift ORV at 4am.. WOO HOO;D

Thanks again
Can you post some pics. I have the same setup (IE T return w/ single saginaw return) and have the same problem.

OP
OP
bronco-billy-66

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
Can you post some pics. I have the same setup (IE T return w/ single saginaw return) and have the same problem.

I'm running Explorer serp. But there's not much to it. 7/16 drill, 1/4-18 NPT tap. and a 3/8 hose barb. I drained the res. and put my shop vac over the fill hole to catch the shavings. Did it all with it on the truck. I just got back from Superlift ran it all weekend no problems..

a493f75d.jpg

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I'm running Explorer serp. But there's not much to it. 7/16 drill, 1/4-18 NPT tap. and a 3/8 hose barb. I drained the res. and put my shop vac over the fill hole to catch the shavings. Did it all with it on the truck. I just got back from Superlift ran it all weekend no problems..

a493f75d.jpg
Cool. I'll be doing the same mod tomorrow. I was ready to pull out the dang hydroboost and go back to manual brakes. Hope this works.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I ended up just swapping the single return pump for a dual return one. Some folks on here indicated the dual returns provided a little higher pressure and with the two returns I no longer have any backflow issues that I had running with a "T" and more straight forward plumbing. PSC Motorsports had some great hose routing diagrams on their website that made everything pretty simple.

This site rocks!

Save-A-Horse

Loc.
Grandville, MI
(color added for emphasis)
"Explorer serp pump, asto booster. Tee in the return.. stait shot from HB angle side from the steerin box.. Thanks, I need to get this fixed yesterday:-["

Brothers, I know the p/s pump was replaced w/ a Dual Return p/s one but wasn't the tee plumbed wrong to begin with? I thought the tee is to be oriented w/ the straight from the steering box to the p/s pump. Just confirming...

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
[QUOTE... I thought the tee is to be oriented w/ the straight from the steering box to the p/s pump. Just confirming...[/QUOTE]

You'd be correct. The hydroboost puts out very little fluid compared to the PS box. So the box gets the straight shot.