• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need Main / Aux In Dash Fuel Switch Help...

Boston71

Loc.
Boston, MA
The other day I was curious to the amount of gas in my Aux tank, so I flipped the switch on the dash. Immediately, the needle went down to empty. Odd, I thought considering I knoew I had gas in it. Regardless, I switched back to main, and the needle wouldnt budge. I have tried restarting the truck, switching it while it ran, switching it while it was off...nothing.

Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Sounds like a dead switch to me. I got a new one from Napa, just ask for a dual postion switch. Might even be a good idea to take the old one in so they know what you are talking about. The guy I talked to at Napa had a hard time finding the one I needed. So he got out one of his parts book that had pictures of switches, so I could just pick the right one.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I didn't have any luck with finding one at a local parts store. I did end up ordering mine from a Mustang supply, he had a complete Ford OEM parts manual, and looked it up and ordered it in for me. Took about a week to get it. Jeff's, WH, Duff's, or Tom's will likely have them in stock if you don't have any luck locally.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As long as the oil and water gauges are still working, I would guess that it is a bad switch as well. all the switch does is connect the gauge to one sending unit or another. Single Poll double throw switch (SPDT), but it is easier to find a Double Poll Double Throw (DPDT) as most places. It will work just fine, just dont use the 3 estra terminals. Usually, the gauge wire goes in the center and the sending units go on either side.

OP
OP
B

Boston71

Loc.
Boston, MA
Thanks guys. Yeah, all the other guages work - just not the gas guage.

How hard is it to get to the switch to take it out? I am looking forward to the challenge.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
It's very easy, just back off the threaded ring on the front of the switch with a pair of pliers and pull the switch through the back side. The terminals will be screwed into the back of the switch. Make sure you only do one side at at time to not mess up the connections. Then remember what side went where. If you forget just remember how much gas you had in eacj tank if you can. I had mine in backwards for a while.:)

Bronco Sport

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Here's what I did. If you're carefull you can bend the tabs on the switches housing back and remove the bottom (carefull.. It's spring loaded!) There contacts are 2 brass(?) slides that float on springs attached to the lever. Also there are a few nubs on the inside of the plate. Clean all of these contacts and reassemble. I did this to mine 5 years ago so I could keep the factory switch and it works great.