• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

need part number braided stainless brakeline

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Need part number for braided stainless brakeline from partsamerica.com for what might be used from the master cylinder down to the H-block?

brian
tampa, fl

stlkikn

You should be running a steel line from the master to the h-block, use flex lines from the frame to the diffs....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Actually you should be using braided between the body and the frame. The factory realized this many years ago, that is why the factory lines are rubber. From a manufacturing standpoint this is a very expensive way to go. If good old steel lines would have been good enough then the factory would have been cheap enough to use them. Those rubber body mounts really do flex a lot. flexing of steel brakes lines will crack tiem in time.

As for what to use, I can't give you any Parts America part numbers. I picked up the adaptors and lines I needed from Speedway Motors. I played with enough master cylinders before swapping to hydroboost that I don't even know what is on there right now.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/bushing.html

Fourth item down on the page:
"Brake Lines from Master Cylinder to the Proportioning valve or Block valve: These stainless steel braided hoses replace the old factory rubber and hard line hoses from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve. Sold in pairs. Please specify brake set up when ordering to get proper fitting sizes.
#3742-44 Stainless Brake Lines, Call for applications, $65.00"

In a perfect world, you want to minimize the flexline in the system because it historically expands more than hardline will under pressure. In reality though, braided stainless/teflon hoses are virtually as rigid as the hardlines are. Here's an interesting article regarding stainless versus rubber...keep in mind who the author is though. To summarize it in one sentence, braided hose at 4000 psi expands .01% volumetrically (too small to measure at lower pressures) and your brake system will most likely never see pressures over 1000-1500 psi max.

http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_markets/Goodridge_stainless_v_rubber.pdf

The more modern hose designs using Teflon, braided Kevlar, a protective rubber sheath, braided stainless, and a PVC jacket and are even more resistant to volumetric expansion due to the added layer of Kevlar braid.:cool:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I used some Earls lines from summit racing. The lines themselfs were only $9 ea and the AN- brake line adapters were like $6 a pair I used short lenghts of hard brake line from the MC to the hose and from the hose to the H block both lines only cost me about $30 but they are not DOT certified if you care about that or need it for inspections.

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
but no national parts houses carry what I need?