• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need replacement 302 engine in az... Or rebuild?

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
Hello so I have performed a compression check and my number 1 cylinder was at 30 the rest 110-120 i added some oil to that cylinder and it jumped to 60... When I pull a plug wire while running several make little change to idle... My engine failed emissions terribly in both categories... Start looking for a complete engine or rebuild? I figure maybe the same amount to find a good running engine never rebuilt an engine before and I just dropped this one in three months ago.. Any thoughts? Or anyone know of good engine supplier in az that may be affordable...

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Sounds like you have a cracked compression ring. If the inside of the cylinder is scored, could spell trouble. Pull the plug and look at the cylinder wall. You may be able to see it with a good flashlight and a mirror. If not, find a buddy with a bore scope and check it out. One cracked ring is a really good reason/excuse to build your motor and add a few horses.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
any idea on the history of the motor before you take a jump to something else? Very low compression could be a bad valve as well. Did the motor backfire?

If you really want to find a reasonable cheap motor, get an explorer motor with no more than 100,000 on it, check the oil and if the valve covers are clean (the owner changed the oil) it should have minimal wear, should only cost about $500, maybe less for a longblock.

Heck, craigslist has this one for the whole truck for $500 running

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/3405603361.html

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D I would take it apart mike they cly's and if it can be cleaned to 030 then rebuild it if not look for a good block. I dont like going over 030 on the 302 and never more than 010 under on the crank. If not go lookin for a nice 351W good luck and have fun.:cool::cool::cool: Bill :cool:;D:D

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Without tearing the engine down to properly diagnose the issue you could be spending a ton of money before you even know what you need to do! You could be out a few hundred for a re-ring kit and a valve job, OR you could be out a complete rebuild.

Ask around at the speed shops down there and see what machine shop is most recommended. Go there and ask questions. If you get a canned answer like they will automatically bore, grind the crankshaft... KEEP LOOKING. A good machine shop will tell you they need to see what they are working with. A small block Ford rarely needs the crank ground, they usually clean up with a simple polishing. Always go with new valves and guides, it's cheap money now compared to later

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id also say just rebuild what you have another used engine could be the same as what you currently have then where are you? back to square one. A rebuilt will give you a good base and you willknow what you have.
Dont bother with 73azbroncos link 1991 explorers didnt have 5.0's. They didnt get them unitil 1995/6

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
As usual great advice!! It's just a bummer because this is a short driving season before the heat returns... Oh well I'll start stripping it down and see about a rebuild.. It'll be good to finally have a rebuild under my belt instead of constantly avoiding it....

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
This really can be done it 2 weekends. Pull it out on Saturday, tear it down Sunday, haul it to a machine shop Monday find out what it needs, order parts and have the machine work done all week, Saturday clean the parts and build the engine, Sunday finish up the build and install. Drive it to work on Monday...

OR make the Stampede your target goal. That's my goal for most of my winter projects.

OP
OP
Jeremy0201

Jeremy0201

Loc.
Tucson
I was hoping to see an obvious reason for low compression.. Pistons seem tight no side play and no grooves.. Head seems like some black carbon build up.. Normal? Could I get away with just a head job or am I gambling??

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've used Gary's Machine Shop at 1720 17th, 748-7681. Excellent work reasonable prices and just plain good people. He helped my diagnose a bend exhaust valve that got stuck open and was hit by the piston. I pulled and reinstalled the head so the whole job including gasket was a little over $100. Let me know if need the head gasket I didn't use it's a Ford factory part with a '92 part #. My engine is a 351 but the head gaskets are the same.

Bronc076

Loc.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Jeremy,

I live in Sierra vista. I pulled the stock 302 out of my Bronco a few years ago when I started my EFI conversion. It was sitting on an engine stand in my shop copvered up till yesterday. Work and other stuff has delayed me but I am back on the project. (back on CB.com today for first time in a while)

My old engine ran fine, and had the heads and timing chain done 20 or 30 thousand miles ago according to the PO. It has an edelbrock intake and Holley Truck Avenger. I would sell it all, or just the long block, whichever you prefer. Yesterday I pulled the pan and oil pump pick up off the engine, and put the thunderbird pan and oil pickup on it. You can put the pan and pickup off your engine on it. Before I pulled that stuff off of it yesterday it was ready to run, just hook up a fuel line and wiring. Total mileage on the engine is around 100K I believe.

If you are interested let me know and we can work out a deal.

rob 520-249-5237