• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some advice - motor swap? What would you do?

camucsb

Hi all,

I'm at a crossroads with my bronco, and could use some general guidance from you all who have been here before me. Some back story: I've had my 1966 U15 for the past 12 years, but kept it stored for most of that time (life got in the way). Now I'm finding myself with some time to work on / drive the Bronco around on the weekends, which has been great. My long term dream is to do a full frame-up restoration, but I'm not quite there yet in terms of time or money or garage space. In the meantime, I've gotten it driveable and been having fun puttering around town.

Now for the question... my bronco has the original 170 in it, which I've always anticipated that I would swap for the V8 when I get around to doing the restoration. I have done a bunch of research through the treads, and seen some good options in crate motors, and realize there are a bunch of things that need to be considered with regards to the transmission, motor mounts, etc. Now, in the meantime, my wife decided to start a food trailer business, and we need a truck to tow around her new trailer, in short order. The Bronco would be a great choice for this (it's cool, and she's not driving far) if I can get it repowered within the next month. So the question is, what is the best way to go about this? I don't have the time, tools, or competence to find a 90s era explorer and pull the engine, but also can't afford to go with a 5k crate engine and transmission combo. Are there any other options? The trailer is light overall (1800lbs) so I could probably build up the I6, but it's fairly worn and I'm not sure the time and money to the machine shop would be worth it.

Would love to hear if anyone has been at a similar crossroads in the past, and what you did in my position. Our alternative would be to buy some sort of new(er) truck, but that sounds like way less fun, and would also mean less money available for the bronco...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
First off I wouldnt waste the time on the 6cyl. If you were doing the work you could probably do the v-8 swap for under 2k. If you want to pay somebody you're looking at least 2k in labor. If you want an efi v-8 you're looking at more time and $$ to get the kinks worked out.

OP
OP
camucsb

camucsb

Thanks Steve, that was my thought as well on the 6cyl. Glad I'm not crazy on ruling that option out.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I sold my good running old 302 on this forum for $250 when I put in my new scratch built stroker motor.
I can't tell you how many times over the years when I had no money I went to a wrecking yard and bought a motor with 50-70,000 miles out of a wreck, and that's when you had to pull them. Today they pull them and test them before they sell them.

That or craigslist.

You'll need a bigger radiator but most of the rest (once you change the engine mounts on the frame) should connect up fine.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/d/san-jose-ford-302-long-block-289-heads/7014429948.html

This one would be cool
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/d/windsor-mercruiser-302-motor/7013178147.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/d/san-jose-302-ford-engine/7015426090.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/d/glen-ellen-rebuilt-ford-302/7016908838.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/d/ford-and-aod-trans/7016730816.html

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Yep you can get a used running motor pretty cheap. A v-8 tranny that mates up to the dana 20 will be tougher to find on the cheap. People give away the stock 3spds but that's a right place at the right time deal plus it sounds like your looking for an automatic. Then v-8 radiator, frame brackets for motor mounts and radiator, headers and bronco water pump.

OP
OP
camucsb

camucsb

Oh thats super helpful, thanks AZ and Steve. For some reason I was under the impression that most of the mustang versions of the 302 wouldn't be as easy to swap in broncos. Is that not true? Does it really just need a new radiator, brackets and mounts, water pump, exhaust, and maybe oil pan, and the rest is up to getting the right transmission?

Re: the tranny, ideally I'd like the AOD, but the C4 would be just fine. I have the 3 on the tree now and its fun, but sounds like it won't handle the power of the V8. Also, my wife is intimidated by towing already, so sticking with a manual might not help her cause.

On an unrelated note, AZ - I'm halfway through reading your build thread for your bronco. It's been super helpful and is great inspiration. I have nowhere near the mechanical ability that you do, but would like to get to that level at some point. For now, it's just helping me plan and daydream and scheme.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 170 will get you or your wife around town. It's not great on the freeways tho. A 200 is a direct swap and gives you some more power. If you go to the trouble of swapping a V8 into it, I would go directly to a 351W. It's just about as easy as the 289-302s and it gives you the low end torque a Bronco can use.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 170 will get you or your wife around town. It's not great on the freeways tho. A 200 is a direct swap and gives you some more power. If you go to the trouble of swapping a V8 into it, I would go directly to a 351W. It's just about as easy as the 289-302s and it gives you the low end torque a Bronco can use.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
One month huh....

OK, for dependablility, driveability, relatively cheap and last "forever"...

$400-700 Get a used motor...preferably an Exploder or early 5.0 that was FUEL INJECTED...important, as used fuelie motors last several hundred thousand miles compared to a carbed motor due to cylinder wear mainly.

$1200 Slap on a Holley Sniper throttle body setup for your wife's driveability.

You can keep a (FREE) 3 spd (for cost and simplicity only) behind it or upgrade to a ($1200) 4r70W for ease of use but need a controller ($700?) and it all bolts up without ANY hassles.

EFI with a 5.0 and D20 (with the 3 spd and you have one so free other than the spud adapter) or run a ($150) NP205 which simply bolts to the 4r70W and I think you can buy crossmembers to bolt it all up (I think).

So many options...

Keeping the 170 is an option but wow... 80HP towing a trailer... I know Arizona is flat but... lol

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
One month huh....?

OK, for dependablility, driveability, relatively cheap and last "forever"...

$400-700 Get a used motor (I know a bunch of guys running used Exploder engines with 160K+ for 10 years now-still run perfect)...preferably an Exploder or early 5.0 that was FUEL INJECTED...important, as used fuelie motors last several hundred thousand miles compared to a carbed motor due to cylinder wear mainly.

$1200 Slap on a Holley Sniper throttle body setup for your wife's driveability.

You can keep a (FREE) 3 spd (for cost and simplicity only) behind it or upgrade to a ($1200) 4r70W for ease of use but need a controller ($700?) and it all bolts up without ANY hassles.

EFI with a 5.0 and D20 (with the 3 spd and you have one so free other than the spud adapter) or run a ($150) NP205 which simply bolts to the 4r70W and I think you can buy crossmembers to bolt it all up (I think).

So many options...

Keeping the 170 is an option but wow... 80HP towing a trailer... I know Arizona is flat but... lol

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
First off I wouldnt waste the time on the 6cyl. If you were doing the work you could probably do the v-8 swap for under 2k. If you want to pay somebody you're looking at least 2k in labor. If you want an efi v-8 you're looking at more time and $$ to get the kinks worked out.

^^^^^ This. ;)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Or just throw a carb on it but then you need a bronco c-4. Exploder tranny needs a $500 controller if you run a carb.