• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some expert advice for a frame off project

rjp1965

I will be starting a frame off restoration project soon and would appreciate some expert guidance and advice.

What I am starting with: The project vehicle is a 1967 Bronco with original 289 and three speed manual that has been moved to the floor. It is an Arizona vehicle and has minimal rust. It has been cut and has a 3 inch lift. I am not looking to build a crawler or anything remotely close. I am looking to build as nice of a comfortable street cruiser / driver as possible.

I realize that every person doing a project like this should build the vehicle they want the way they want it. I also fully realize that a restoration project like this is not exactly a for profit exercise. That said, I do want to make intelligent decisions in terms of maximizing the value of the vehicle should I need to sell it in the future.

Given that I am not attempting to do a perfectly correct concourse restoration to original specifications, my primary question is: What types of modifications are most desirable in terms of market value?

I have been impressed with the knowledge level of the participants on this forum and would like to thank any of you in advance for your advice and opinions.

farnorthdan

Loc.
Eagle River, Alaska
I know power steering is real nice, miss my 72' the 73' is a manual :( also disc brake are real nice to have if you like stopping fast. Rust free with bedliner inside always looks nice I think. I'm sure others will chime in with some good stuff.

Dan

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I myself really like seeing all original Broncos, but with that being said, EFI, Power steering, disc brakes, a better transmission, bed liner, and modern wheels and tires, are nice mods to have.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I agree disc brakes and power steering will both make driving better and should help upon resale.
As for other mods it would be a good idea to keep the 289 if it needs a rebuild then rebuild it maybe include some basic hop up mods mainly a good camshaft. Maybe 4v intake/carb and headers, electronic iginition.
many people do swap transmissions but its really up to you and your needs. The stock 3 speed is fine for mainly street.
Basically keep it as near as stock as possible if your planning on selling as you rarely ever will get back what you put into it. Worst case just keep all the stock parts you replace then you could include them with the sale. I like to look for vehicles that have very few mods done to them myself.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
First I would say take your time and figure out what YOU want. Go to some events, ride in a few differently built rig's and see what you like.

Then create a list of what you need to do, and create a budget for everything you'll need. Then add about $5-7K on top of that for stuff that you didn't budget for or ended up replacing because you were there and the parts were marginal. Are you going to do the body and paint yourself? Mechanical work?

Where are you at? There's a ton of us doing frame off builds and could lend a hand or offer better insight. For me figuring out the local's that are resourceful or have connections was very important for my build.

As far as good mod's I'd start with disk brakes up front, power brakes and steering, some sort of locker, a roll cage. Decide now if you want to go with efi or not, you'll save a ton doing it once.

Most importantly have fun with it. I've been working 3-18 hours at a time depending on what I'm doing, but I'm enjoying the work. If it starts to be a drag, or feel like a job, take a day or two off, but stay focused and keep plugging away. There's too many 3 and 5 and 10 year builds going...

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Transmission

Thanks for the reply and input. You mentioned a "better transmission". Any suggestions? Does there seem to be a market preference between manual and automatic?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Thanks for the reply and input. You mentioned a "better transmission". Any suggestions? Does there seem to be a market preference between manual and automatic?

I myself would prefer a manual, but I'm not everyone else. A lot of people would be fine with a Bronco C4. I agree with bronconaz on keeping the 289 (I love 289s), but if you do swap it, I suggest EFI. A lot of people love EFI.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 I also prefer a manual but if your staying on the street and maybe some city driving then a auto may be better suited. Then if you do a lot of hiway driving you may need a OD tranny.
One good thing is you really dont have to do everything at once you can also do tranny or engine swaps later on if you find you need/want something different. Rolling around town I find the stock 3 speed is fine. Offroad not so good in my opinion. On the other hand my 73 is setup pretty good for what I do for both hiway and offroad.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I am just finishing up a 4 yr frame off restomod myself. I would recommend the NP 435 if you're gonna stay manual tranny. It's basically a bullet proof 3 speed tranny with a granny low first gear. Gear 2-4 are virtually equivilent to 1-3 of a stock 3 speed and they are a great off road tranny. Disc brakes are always welcome come resale time too. For the most part if it's solid body wise, has disc brakes, a strong tranny and gears that match the tire size with some sort of locking mechanism most people who are looking to buy will give you just about whatever your asking.

I also have a thread that I put together mainly for myself that pertains to the re-assembly process. I made a detailed list of everything I could think of that I would need to do to completely reassemble my rig. I Put it out there for people to add to so that i wouldn't miss anything important. I'm giving you a link to the thread and I hope it is helpful to you in your build. I used it as a motivational thread and it also allowed me to have some simlance of a game plan. You will see as I completed a project I marked it as done and changed the color of the font. As of right now I only have 2 items left on my list.;D

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135858

Good luck!! A frame off is like eating an elephant, you have to do it one bite at a time.......

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Who's your target audience? If you're looking to build a street cruiser that's going to appeal to the stereotypical "mall cruiser" type (hey, I'm one of them) then my suggestion would be to do the following:

Lift: Keep it at 3", maybe 1"BL
Tires: 33s or 35s with classic slots or modern 18's or 20's - depends on your theme here though.
Color: Again, depends on your theme - rugged or flashy...
Body: Cut with flares or LUBR - Inserts or full doors will depend on where you live and if you want it to be capable year round or only for nice weather cruises.
Top: See above - a Full top is nice but I think a cool custom cage looks nice too - maybe a soft top as an option.
Engine: EFI would be best - think 88 Mustang doner rebuilt if necessary.
Exhaust: Should match your theme - low and throaty, or quiet as a mouse...
Brakes: Disk up front with hyroboost. Drums in the rear will be fine.
Transmission: Auto will get you a broader selling base IMO - The C4 should be fine but if you can do AOD that would be better.
Interior: This one's a toss up - Carpet is nice (and quieter) but can get dirty - Linex is great but more utilitarian.
Seats: Modern without being too restrictive - racing seats are great but not if you're a bigger feller. Maybe some nice cloth or leather high backs with matching rear seat. I really like the tan interior (check out 70EB's truck for ideas).
Cage: Full cage for safety. This should be non-negotiable IMO. Make it custom so it stands out and compliments the lines of the truck. Also get some 3-pt seatbelts in there too.
Other comforts: A/C is nice, a nice stereo is a must but don't go overboard here with crazy bass that limits your usable space. A nice component setup, maybe 6 speakers with or without a small sub would be great. Think ipod integration into the dash too. Also a nice center console would be necessary too, along with a newer style steering wheel and maybe a tilt column. If you're going this far might as well customize the dash too - new gauges, new A/C vents, new layout, remove ash tray, integrate speakers, etc. Possibly add a self-dimming mirror with map lights, power windows, locks, remote entry, alarm - the list goes on and on and on...

But keep in mind the more "custom" you do the bigger risk you have of someone thinking that its not their style. Its a slippery slope...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Street driving you'd be okay w/the old 2barrel or EFI.
Disc Brakes
OD Transmission.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Possible Scenarios

First of all let me say thanks for all of the advice and information. Based on what I have read here, and considering my own preferences, I am considering three possible modification scenarios and am interested in what your estimated market value would be for each scenario. I know what my costs will be and simply want to evaluate the impact on market value prior to making my final decisions.

Please consider that regardless of the scenario I choose I will be doing a complete (every nut and bolt, powdercoated chassis, etc.) frameoff. I will also be leaving the lift at 3 inches and using 33 inch tires. Engine, transmission, paint, body, interior, etc. will all be professionally done. Also, regardless of the scenario chosen, the interior will be new stock/unmodified with all new switches, knobs, carpet, seats, etc.

Scenario 1: Keeping the existing and original 289 and 3 speed manual drivetrain. Adding power steering, front disc brakes and power boost for the rear. Adding tilt column, power windows and a/c.

Scenario 2: Keeping the existing 289, but changing to an automatic transmission (either C6 or AOD). Adding power steering, front disc brakes and power boost for the rear. Adding tilt column, power windows, and air conditioning.

Scenario 3: Changing to either a 351 or 5.0 with EFI and either a C6 or AOD transmission. Adding power steering, and disc brakes front and rear. Changing from the current Dana 30 to Dana 44 and 9 inch rear. Adding power windows, power door locks, tilt column, and air conditioning.

Once again, I appreciate your input and advice.

cwarren87

In my opinion scenario 1 is a winner. A nicely restored vehicle, that is mostly stock, looks sharp and has more of a cool factor in my mind. It will also appeal to a broader market if you ever decide to sell it. Additionally, restoring a vehicle to mostly stock will usually minimize costs and yield an end project with more bang for your buck. That being said, I don't think swapping to an AOD will harm the market value at all(especially if you hang on to the 3 speed and all its components) and if you do a lot of highway driving, you'll come to appreciate the overdrive.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
1or2 but as far as added market value it very hard to say. I'd pay more for a fairly unmolested bronco than I would for one with all kinds of mods that are not all that desireable to me on the other hand some people will pay more because all the mods are already done. Basically build it for you dont worry about the market value as you wont get what you put into it anyways. Powder coating everything, professional paint,body, and interior alone will cost more than the bronco will ever be worth. The more mods you do the more it will cost you and the less you will get out of it.
If your just selling it then the number 1 seller will be how the outside looks pretty paint and a straight body will sell. the rest of the mod mean little

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Paint selection

Given that my project is not a true oem style concourse restoration, does the use of either a paint color from a different year of early bronco or even a non-early bronco factory paint color have much impact on market appeal if I ever need to sell?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Why don't you put us up a picture of said project ..So we can see what we're working with.
...Without seeing your Bronco I say put the NP435 in 1st.. then P/S.. Then disk brake set up and cool tire to your suiting .. Then drive it for a while and see what you like or dislike about it .. A nice radio may mean more to you that Front bumpers and winch or rear bumper and a cool spare tire rack ..
....As far as my point on EFI . If your motor is a little weak and your carb is an issue .. I'd find a complete efi motor out of a Mustang or Bird .I'd try and buy the whole car so I'd have it all ..It cost so much to put together an EFI set up and you'd have the AOD if you want to go to the auto trans.
...Choose your seats careful your butt will be in them for a long time..I like 88 BroncoII seats but there are a lot more that are nice..This is where you go to a wrecking yard an set in every car you find .

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Sorry but I am going to disagree with the previous posts. For a street cruiser you don't need a locker or an np435. C4 for an auto or an NV3550 for a standard 5 speed. Freshen up the 289 and keep that and the dana 20. Since it is a 67 you might want to go to a D44 front end with disc or buy the conversion kit that will do the 30 that is in there as well as a 44. The 30 will handle street driving and even some larger tires but if you plan on going real big (over 33) I would just swap in the 44. Mild lift kit will provide some off road capabilities and add curb appeal. Rear disc if you want wouldn't hurt you at all either. Leave it cut if it already is and the body is decent. No top and you will want a roll bar or cage of some type, wild to mild.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Thanks. Happy to post a few pictures of what I am starting with. So here is the newbie question: How do I do that? Do I just use the Insert Image icon in the message editor or is there a different way to attach the photos?

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thanks. Happy to post a few pictures of what I am starting with. So here is the newbie question: How do I do that? Do I just use the Insert Image icon in the message editor or is there a different way to attach the photos?

You need to be a contributor (see here) or send them to one of us to post. You can also link them in through a photo service such as photobucket or other.

OP
OP
R

rjp1965

Photos

You need to be a contributor (see here) or send them to one of us to post. You can also link them in through a photo service such as photobucket or other.

Thanks. I am now a contributor and will post the photos as soon as my status updates.