• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some expert advice on welding and panels

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Alright. I will start with the body panels first. I got my body panels today and went through them, everything looked good minus the floor pans looked a bit wonky. Do they typically come with some waves and does that just work itself out as you are spot welding them back in?
SakJlcW.jpg

Secondly, I bought floor pans, interior rockers and exterior rockers. What is the best plan of attack? The way I see them lining up is to remove the three and later them back in 1) floor pan 2) interior rocker and 3) cap them off with the exterior rocker. Is this the correct order in overlapping?

Lastly, my question in welding. Been learning how to mig weld sheet metal but I don't seem to get good penetration using the charted heat settings. Should I bump up the heat in 1/2 increments until I burn in all the way? I am trying to do a few patches and am leaving some hairline gaps after grinding the weld back down.

I appreciate any advice and help you guys can throw my way.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Depending on the thickness of that panel is whether I would worry about the waves. I made a mistake of welding in my warped floor pan thinking it would smooth itself out, I used a 16ga one though and it proved to stiff. It has since been replaced with a 18ga one.

I am not an expert but your order of removal and installation seems correct to me. And the welding issue is basically a practice, practice, and practice some more type of thing. Use the welding chart as a guideline, but on some things it can be way off. Best thing to do is to practice on the same type of metal you are using, I also found that trying to plug weld into small holes make it very hard to get good penetration without blowing through. It took me a while, but I finally found the right wire speed and heat settings and then I just marked them on the welder for future reference. A lot also depends on the wire thickness you are welding with.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I just finished my floors. There is an excellent write up with video on here. I did what you are describing and turned my heat up to get good penetration and they turned out great.
14249e733a564418a32282b9bd7bc843.jpg
b2cf8df5af2db193bb2c5ad54ddb77f0.jpg
98d7764f3bdb8a15a7430d908dfb6a58.jpg

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I am in the process of replacing several panels on my Bronco currently - floors, rockers, rear quarters, and tailgate supports. The floor panels did appear to have waves I attributed to stamping techniques of the metal. I decided to attack the floors first. I braced the tub to hold everything in position, removed the floor (yeah, just remove the floor! %), and start reassembly. I held panels in place using Cleco clamps - which I highly recommend. The process involved drilling 3/16ths holes through any and all panels to be joined and then inserting the Cleco which held everything in place and snug. I staggered the clamps and plug welded the open holes. On my Lincoln 250 220v mig, I found a setting of about 14 - 15 volts worked best using .035 wire. I used what I call "tap welds" which are a series single spot welds so I won't burn through the floor. I also staggered any welds to avoid building up any heat and thus warping. Originally, I hoped to assemble the entire floor and drop it in, but it soon became obvious I needed to custom fit just about every panel. I also decide to weld every seam in the floor for my own peace of mind. The floor wasn't perfect when I finished, but neither was the 50 year old former snow plow Bronco
20140820_105153.jpg

20140820_105118.jpg

55580405.jpg

Letsgocrawling

Loc.
Tucson Az.
To do the best job run the smallest wire possible, with correct settings the weld buildup will be less--less to grind and sand plus less distortion. Cost won't be that much, well worth doing post work. I always suggest this for rookies, with the smaller home machines doing the work, it really works out good because the smaller wire allows more power for even doing other stuff like roll bars and brackets etc. Depending on the welder 1/4" is doable with the small wire. Always start with the welders highest power ability---amps, then while welding adjust the wire speed to bring in the happy spot. With bigger welders the wire thing still applies for ease. It is a little more expensive to run but well worth the effort in whole! With today's technology everyone can be a better welder.

ffspiel

Waverous - or anyone else with experience: I know this is an older thread, but is there a "standard" size for the holes drilled, or one that you prefer, when using the Cleco fasteners?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Waverous - or anyone else with experience: I know this is an older thread, but is there a "standard" size for the holes drilled, or one that you prefer, when using the Cleco fasteners?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hello, Rob - welcome to the site! The hole for the Cleco fasteners depends on the size of the fastener you are using - they come in 1/8" and 3/16" diameters. (I used both) and thus require either 1/8" or 3/16" drill bit. I chose the size of the fastener based on the thickness of the metal, proximity to other "things" that could be affected by welding heat - "smaller hole, smaller heat, smaller hold". That little ditty should create circular logic - as you go smaller; you go cooler, but you also go less strength. So with that cute little saying in mind, I chose how big to make the hole. That may not be the way others choose the hole size, but I tend to burn through stuff and make a mess.

YouTube has a good video on using Cleco Clamps.

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
.023 wire is your friend
I drill a 1/4” inch hole to weld through, usually about 17-18 volts and make a really hot, quick weld, cool w a wet rag every so often to minimize warping.
Inner rocker and floor need to be fit together, neither is “first”
The outer is last