• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some frame help

Dne007

Contributor
Hi, I've got my front frame parts from Randy at Driven 4x4 parts(thank you Rusty for the headsup), with the frame leveled out, I'm using a laser based on the Vertical Datum line.

There's a distance I need to make this work, between the datum line and the actual frame horn????

This is kind of new territory for me and I'm confident in accomplishing this, just need a little help;)

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Figured it out, nothing here, move along;)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
some times you don't need anything but moral support. Please post some before and after shots. not allot of people take to grafting frame members. The use of lazer is far ahead of how Ford did it. Nice to have the tools.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
and appreciated by many. Steve we all appreciate the Time and effort you have put in to help everyone. Maybe thanks are not heard enough but the sentiment is still there.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Sorry Steve, I didn't know it was your work, please accept my Thanks for making such a cool thing~ I can imagine it was a pain to make! ;)
dne'

%) It's nice to see that someone is getting some use from that diagram. It was a helluvalotta work to make it. ;)

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I'm amazed, I went back looking for the "watermark" and didn't see the larger than life Steve83 across the entire page! I was so focused on what I was looking for, didn't even see the "watermark". I was looking for a little signature at the bottom. Can't see the forest for the trees comes to mind!
dne';)

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I'm sorry to have to bug you guys, but even though the measurements are probably out there, I can't find them. I need the distance as indicated by the red lines please? I could order a bumper, but I'm unsure of what bumpers I'm going to use.
thank you,
dne'

71 CA Bronco

Mine measure 4-1/2" OD the same size as the opening of the bumper. They do have a little give, and can be bent a little when fitting your bumper.

Make sure you get the width right as well. Mine are 26-1/2" center of bolt to center of bolt. If you are going with stock bumpers easiest way is to bolt the bumper in prior to welding.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sorry to have to bug you guys, but even though the measurements are probably out there, I can't find them. I need the distance as indicated by the red lines please? I could order a bumper, but I'm unsure of what bumpers I'm going to use.
thank you,
dne'

My frame measures ~4.25" top to bottom on the front frame horns, and approximately 4.00" inside dimension. Mine aren't perfectly rectangular anymore, so your results may vary.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If your planning to use the available chrome bumpers on the factory frame horns you will want to put washers between the frame and the bumper top and on the bottom otherwise tightening the bumper bolts pulls down and distorts the top of the bumper. or you can bolt down the top and put 2 washers on the bottom side.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Thank you!!!!!

My frame measures ~4.25" top to bottom on the front frame horns, and approximately 4.00" inside dimension. Mine aren't perfectly rectangular anymore, so your results may vary.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Rusty, I'm just not sure what I'm going to do about bumpers~ I do know that If I carry the spare tire like Tim (the previous owner of the parts I bought), I'd want a pretty hefty rear bumper with the swing away spare, but that is a little ways off to even consider.

If your planning to use the available chrome bumpers on the factory frame horns you will want to put washers between the frame and the bumper top and on the bottom otherwise tightening the bumper bolts pulls down and distorts the top of the bumper. or you can bolt down the top and put 2 washers on the bottom side.

This is Tim's Bronco, he's the really nice guy that I bought a BUNCH of parts from including the wheels/tires in the picture

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
yep that's OK I just wanted you to be aware that the chrome Bronco bumpers are not works of art and you have to be careful if you want a certain look. They are the most useless pieces of metal on the truck. but they have the nostalgic look. the front bumper wants to tear your pants every time you walk by it.
back in the day stroppe made Bumper braces for the front bumper and we use to put a piece of 1.5 X 1.5 steel tube behind the factory front bumper bolted through the bumperette holes. My Bronco has 2x5 1/4 wall steel tube bumpers front and back. nothing special but going no where.

the factory bumpers protect nothing can't even hold their own with a trash can.
bumpers are a Personal choice. most options are extremely heavy. allot of old posts on this site. even some plans for flame cut plate bumpers which were quite nice.

71 CA Bronco

Now that's funny "factory bumpers protect nothing can't even hold their own with a trash can"

I second that. When I was a kid. I put a pull strap around my rear bumper to help get a buddy out of the sand. needless to say I ended up with a L shaped rear bumper. Had to back into a tree to get it back to shape. Dopy kids. ;D

I still like the look of the factory bumpers though. I have never needed a spare tire (other than on trailers) in my entire life, so went without. I may eventually do the factory bumper with heavy reinforcement inside like a few have done here. Factory look but can handle a few bumps.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I bumped my front bumper into a rock and pushed it into my grill damaging my grill then backed up to clear the rock and peeled the bumper back like a boomerang. rock 1 bumper 0 same trip during stream crossing dropped off the river bank and caught the rear bumper and tacoed that one. then I found out reinforcing them but by then they were done. plus I was tired of hanging my pants on the front bumper and tearing them but hey that style is in these days.