• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some Heat shield ideas for muffler

23firefly

My dual mufflers run right under my seats and the heat is to much for me in the cab. Do you guys have any heat shielding ideas that worked for you?

I have a good amount of space between the mufflers and floor, just need to know what products to use.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Thin sheet metal is going to be the answer, just bend it around the top side of the exhaust and leave a air gap between the two, 18-20 gauge should be good.

David

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Flowmaster sells shields for thier mufflers, a couple of BIG hose clamps holds them on. They worked on my 1988 mustang at lowering the floor temp in the rear seat. I think they came in few different lengths...

OP
OP

23firefly

I've got dual magna flow type round mufflers and have a hard time thinking a shield around the muffler will keep the temps down.

Was driving today and the floor was very hot from the gas peddle to the rear seats.
Was thinging about making a sheet metal shield with an air gap and stilling an adhesive type metal heat sheild to it. Seem like the best thing would be to have full tub system like the one wild horses sells, but I don't want carpet.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My '77 came with a factory shield that had brackets that screwed to the frame. It goes the full length of the muffler and cat. I guess it could be reverse engineered to make one for the drivers side too.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I used that ceramic fiber insulating wrap on mine and so far it seems to be working ok. You can get it at about any auto parts store or online supply.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
A small heat shield with air gaps will do wonders for your heat problem. They work by deflecting radiant heat, the same way you do by putting something between you and a blaring campfire.

Plenty of exhaust shops have stuff like that, and Summit racing sells heat insulation that works pretty well.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...part=THE-16500&N=700+-147876+115&autoview=sku

I'm going to build my own out of galvanized sheet and put it between the muffler and floor board in my GPW. I have a 70 series Flowmaster and the heat on the trail is pretty bad.

OP
OP

23firefly

Your in Chico? I've been here for 8years didn't there were many other bronco drivers around.

I ended up picking a heat/sound shield from summit and a roll of gavinized sheet metal from Home dept. Was thinking of using both to make my own heat shielding the full length of the muffler.
Not real sure how, but I'm working on that. The heat shielding I bought this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=THE-14620&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Hope it works because I don't like driving a and oven.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stainless steel acts as a much better heat shield as it doesn't conduct heat near as well as mild steel does.

Or, pop the transmission tunnel cover off and make it a convection oven ;)

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I covered the inside floor with Hurculiner and an insulating mat from under a cabover 18 wheeler, and a new EB rubber floor mat. problem solved.

Mine was so hot it burned the paint off the floor. Now its just barely warm.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did as others stated, fabbed a piece of Al and bolted it the frame, leaving space between the shield, mufflers, and body. I also put adhesive heat shield onto the AL which also helps reduce noise. I used AL because it transfers heat better than mild steel and no worries with rust.

ugly_od_eb

Loc.
Moyock, NC
Um.. the galvanized idea is a BIG no no.... You can't heat/weld it because it releases a harmful gas, also cutting it with a heat producing tool (plasma/cutting wheel ect...), but use it under your own risk. :-X
EDIT: You will get zinc and/or lead poisoning.....

Last edited:
OP
OP

23firefly

I like the sheet of Aluminium bolted under the body with an air gap the best. Thanks for the advice everyone.