• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need To Replace My Engine...

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
Well I blew my engine on the way to the trail. Now it is knocking like a hammer. I have thought about a 5.0 swap, or just getting a long block.. What should i do??

My local parts store has a 302 long block for $799.00.

Every used 5.0 that i could find is about $1400.00..

I am looking for a engine that is complete that i can drop in.. I have found other good deals on engines that need rebuilt or are missing a lot of stuff.. :(

What should I do? Anybody got an extra?

Thanks
Aaron

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
What are the specs on that engine

That price is awefully low

Is it new, or used?? and what kind of warrantee??

I feel your pain the oil pump on my other truck failed today, and I might have to rebuild my race motor. Ouch

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Check with some of the local guys to see who they use for a machine shop. Go see them. They should be able to at least match the price you have. My local shop stocks short block 5.0 motors for $675. Plus if you run into any problems they are local.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most 5.0 swaps are not exactly drop in you'll either need a distributer thats compatible with the roller cam to run a carb or the EFI setup and all related wiring sensors ect. then you will still need to wire it all up to the bronco and get the oxygen sensor mounted to the exhaust.
I'd go for a long block type or get your current block rebuilt if possible also build it up a little

OP
OP
Daddy4zack

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
DonsBolt said:
What are the specs on that engine

That price is awefully low

Is it new, or used?? and what kind of warrantee??

I feel your pain the oil pump on my other truck failed today, and I might have to rebuild my race motor. Ouch

It is rebuilt with a warranty of 18 months unlimited miles...

OP
OP
Daddy4zack

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
ken75ranger said:
Check with some of the local guys to see who they use for a machine shop. Go see them. They should be able to at least match the price you have. My local shop stocks short block 5.0 motors for $675. Plus if you run into any problems they are local.

Every story that i have heard about machine shops is that it will run around 2500.00 and take six weeks..??..

rednck21

yeah the local machine shop around here wanted $1700 to rebuild my dads 6cyl :eek: no thanks

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
For that kind of money you can get a low mile Exploder 5.0 off Ebay and all the parts necessary to do the 5.0 swap and have money left over. I saw one go on Ebay last week for about $550. It takes a bit of work to do the swap to EEC-IV but it's not rocket science, and when you are done you have a bulletproof engine that will last for years and run upside down. There's plenty of expertise here and on the lists to get you through the tough spots. As for that distributor, you can buy those on Ebay all day long for $25 or less. Nothing special about them. The roller cams found in the various 5.0 motors require a steel distributor gear. That includes the Exploder 5.0, which is the exact same bottom end as the Mustang 5.0, but with a different cam grind. I've usually got one or more in my shed as a spare. I've been through that swap myself and have helped others do it. No rocket science involved.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Another thought: if you are a junkyard scrounger, head over to M&M Auto Salvage in Woodland. Off Road 102. There may be some deals to be had. I don't think the yards there will last much longer what with the housing tracts going in across the street. I was offered $400 for a complete injected 351W there a few months ago. I turned it down, I'm still kicking myself for that. If you need more info PM me.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I have a complete long block 302 that's tired (100-115 psi compression in all cylinders) that's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. It runs and doesn't smoke...needs an intake, water pump, oil pump and pan to be ready to install. PM me if you're interested.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Daddy4zack said:
Every story that i have heard about machine shops is that it will run around 2500.00 and take six weeks..??..
SHORT BLOCK. No heads. Plain 5.0 no roller. They build common motors when it's slow to keep the guys busy. Brand name parts but not HP. If your paying 2500 for that your getting ripped.They did my short block in 2 weeks.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Now is the time to look at a 351W swap cost will be about the same good luck with your choice. ;D ;D ;D Bill :cool: %) :p

72 EFI

Time to Go EFI

Swap to EFI. It may take some searching, but you can find someone with a wrecked 89-93 mustang. I finally found one at a u-pull it yard. Grab the whole thing with wiring and the comp. Easy swap, wiring diagrams can be found from various folks on here. No distributor swaps or anything (Well, a flywheel swap and add an electric fuel pump). Overall, cheaper than the rebuild plus an amazing difference in your 30 yr old vehicle.