• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need wiring help BAD

nboost

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I am trying to wire my fuel pump with a relay. If you look at the photos the orange wire goes to battery, blue goes to fuel pump, I think. Where does the red and green wire go. One has to be the trigger switch and one a ground, right?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The orange wire (30) goes to the battery, the blue wire (87) goes to the fuel pump. Green wire (85) is ground and red wire (86) goes to ignition 12v. Make sure the blue wire is in socket 87 and not 87a, otherwise the fuel pump will always be on, until you turn the key, shutting it off. 87 is the normally open circuit, that's what you need.

OP
OP
N

nboost

Loc.
Edmond, OK
That's what I thought. I should have asked before I tried to wire it up. I had the green and red wire backwards and burned my grn/rd wire in the harness all the way back to my ignition. :mad:

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Double check your connections. Pins 85 and 86 are a simple electro magnet, and polarity shouldn't matter. Somehow you have your ing. wire going directly to ground.

OP
OP
N

nboost

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Obviously I have to replace the wire going back to the ignition. I visibly can't see any other wire damage but is there something I should check or look for?

I had the orange going to the battery, blue to the fuel pump, red to ground and green to my ignition wire.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
looks like you have it wired correctly, check the resistance on the relay, across 85 and 86, make sure it's not shorted together. I'll check what the ohm value should be. I'll get back.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Ohm value is between 60 and 80 ohms on a few different relays I measured. That's across pin 85 and pin 86. If you burned up your ign. wire, your ohm value is probably around zero.

OP
OP
N

nboost

Loc.
Edmond, OK
Thanks for the help. One more question when I replace the ignition wire in the factory harness what gauge of wire do I need to use. Again thanks for the help

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
That relay is working right, but if you note the symbol at the bottom of its diagram, you'll see it's a diode-suppressed relay. That means, although electromagnets generally work with either polarity, the diode added inside this relay makes it only work one way, and the diode protects other components (like a PCM or EIM) from voltage spikes.

So all you need to do is reverse 85 & 86. This diagram & its caption show several ways to wire fuel pumps, depending on how many, what types they are, and what you want them to do.