• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Needing direction on a new restoration

LaminarFlow

I have just acquired a 1972 stock bronco and I am split on the direction to go. I keep hearing to keep interest is to get it driving good in stock condition, but stock condition is meh. It would be fun to go to some bronco rally’s in the PNW (may next year dead line). It did drive into the garage, but needs floor pans and full drivetrain help to keep it safe. Or, go full restoration and start bottom to top, back to front. Looking for a plan since I see lots to do but not sure how to go about this. I have two kids (young), so my time is limited. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trying to post pictures of said vehicle, but forum UI isn't intuitive. (Possible rookie mistake, but guidance is much appreciated).

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
My advice to you is to take it slow unless you have a ton of time to dedicate to a full frame off. With Small kids they need you more than you need to restore a Bronco. I waited until my daughters were close to driving age and had an interest in helping do the restoration and then we went crazy full frame off. Taught them some good skills and tons of bonding time. Just my 2 cents.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Build it or leave ot the way you want it, that's all that matters when it's in the condition that it sounds like it's in. Keep in mind lots of broncos get torn down and then forgotten and sold in pieces at a loss. Know your capabilities before you dig in.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Ask yourself what your long term goal is for the bronco... what do you want it to be? Then set up short term goals/plans to keep it running and driveable until you have the time/dedication to tackle some of the more challenging and longer duration tasks. Save those longer tasks for when your kids are older and pretty much dont want to hang out with you anymore. hahaha!

As you read, keeping the bronco driveable will keep you content with it. Your kids will enjoy it too. My son ust turned 8 and has been wrenching with me for a couple years. He loves helping and can find himself around a tool chest well now. Its also rewarding for him to then ride in it with me after we tackle a small repair/mod. Some things we've tackled together are: entire steering system, exhaust, rear diff and axle shafts, hydroboost brakes. I think his favorite project was installing the exhaust.

GL! and have fun most of all!

PS, whether you keep it stock or not is up to you. do what you want!

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
I am in the same boat as you having two boys (4yo and 2yo) so I don't get much time to work on mine. Mine is a runner but needs some mechanical work but I can drive it around our neighborhood just fine. Just take on small projects that you can start and finish easily because its real easy to get started on something and then it ends up sitting for months. I know from experience.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
As others have said, I'd keep it simple, do what is needed to make it safe and start enjoying it. upgrade what stands out the most in pieces you can chew on and complete. Lots of projects start with big ambition and interest is lost due to the complications arising from a huge build. Get it running, start enjoying it with your kids, if they get interested, working on it becomes easier.

for posting pics, the easiest is to become a contributor. I have mine on autopay and have forgotten the cost but it is minimal. He's a link: adding pics and becoming a contributor.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
All good advise and I too will say try to keep it running and work on it when you can. So many guys go full resto and find they dont have the time or money to complete it. So the project sits and either takes years to do or gets sold unfinished.

Good luck and have fun!

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
I did what you are thinking about because I also thought a stock bronco was lacking a little, I like loud engines and HP. Turns out, my expectations were lacking based on my situation. I had a young daughter, and a fairly stressful job. Basically I had little time to accomplish what I wanted. I can't begin to describe all of the work involved with a frame-off, you think you have a handle on it, but to do it correctly, means a lot of work you don't think about until you are under there doing it. VERY time consuming. I wish I would have done it a little different, just so I could enjoy the bronco while fixing it up, and also drive my family around in it. I started on my '67 in 2013, I am finally just getting the underside painted/finished. I really thought I had more time for this project, but life certainly had other things in store for me.

My advice would be to fix the floors, and upgrade the drivetrain to what you want. Get it driving comfortably, address power steering and brakes so it drives nice and safe. Save the frame-off rebuild for when the kids are older, being able to do that project with them would be great.

Good luck, and definitely post up some pics!

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
As others have said, there’s ALWAYS more to do than you can imagine. I intended to merely redo brake lines and fuel lines and sort out the wiring, maybe sand a bit and paint some. I’m into the 3rd year after getting it back from an engine build and it’s on jack stands with all the front sheet metal off. Every time I’ve done one repair another one pops up. Would have been easier to buy a new tub…not cheaper, but easier.
Do what it takes to make it safe to drive. I haven’t followed that advice, but I’m retired.

Randy

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
Lots of good advice and thoughts here already. All I will add is that I can’t imagine myself being able to complete any kind of a frame off project by next May, especially considering you have a couple young kids (and I would assume a job) that requires a lot of your time. That seems like a pretty aggressive goal to me. But, it’s not impossible. You know your situation and yourself better than anyone. Maybe you could pull this off with ease.

OP
OP
LaminarFlow

LaminarFlow

Thank you all for your input! I buffed it and it is starting to look awesome. 52 year old paint likes a little cutting compound and polishing and glosses up nice. Son and I like the original patina, so we clear coated the rust spots to mitigate future growth for a bit. I’ll spot patch the rust holes in the normal places and weld in the new floor boards. Now it’s time for running gear fix and getting it safe! I absorbed your posts above from this awesome group and definitely will go solid running gear and then build things separately from the current Bronco for upgrades and then swap them when it gets time to install them (I.e., buy a new 9” big bearing hd housing and start getting the parts for a full rebuild outside the existing small bearing current diff that will get new gear but keeping the running bronco intact). I’m an Eng so my ocd gets the better of me when I start to see the prior owners short cuts they took to keep it running and all the tangential tasks when I start diving into it) Anyone here close to the PNW that want to parts swap/have a plethora of items that they don’t need and would want to sale?

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
If you haven’t already been there, check the “classified” section in the forum. There’s usually a good many parts for sale. If there’s a specific item that you need, there’s a place to list the part(s) you’re looking for. Maybe that will help you.

Randy

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
my ocd gets the better of me when I start to see the other owners short cuts they took

I'm kind of like you in this regard. I pick a system (i.e. brake system) or large component (i.e. front or rear end, transfer case, etc.) and learn all I can about the system or component (this site is a great, vast wealth of knowledge) then buy all the parts needed to rebuild it front to back, top to bottom, before I ever turn a wrench.

OP
OP
LaminarFlow

LaminarFlow

Thank you all! I’ll keep plugging away at it. Will probably have to invite the UPS man to thanksgiving dinner since we will be best friends after all is said and done. Now time to shop for a welder, any suggestions for newbie MIG set up?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I got a Miller multiprocess machine. Can run 110 or 220. Will stick, flux core, MIG, TIG and can hook up a spool gun and weld aluminum. It’s not cheap ($2K) but it’s a good rig. I looked at an Eastwood that’s comparable and cheaper. Went with the Miller because there was one local and I didn’t want to wait.

Ra

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Speedrdr beat me to it. Miller 215. In my opinion it’s one of the best starter rigs money can buy. Has enough tech to help you get started and be semi proficient quickly, expandable for any task you might want to do and has enough horse power that most hobby guys get a life time of use out of without the need for a different, bigger, machine.