• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Never been off roof

rmk57

Have a 66 that the roof has never been off. It has brackets in front, above the windshield that tie the bolts together. If you start pulling to hard to remove the bolts it starts to bend the brackets and I want to save them from getting mangled. Heating them with a torch is not an option as paint is nice and original.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not familiar with them myself. Are they bending as the bolts twist? Or as the bolts start to come up/down as they loosen?

Got pics?

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
No pics handy but they're just metal strips about 10" long with a nut welded at each end. Remove bolts from the bottom and those should just come loose. Those are also on the underneath side of the hard top along the under side of the bed rail. Pretty handy, it's nice not having to put a wrench or socket under there. I wouldn't imagine that they would rust, try loosing all of the bolts first before completely removing them.

OP
OP
rmk57

rmk57

Not familiar with them myself. Are they bending as the bolts twist? Or as the bolts start to come up/down as they loosen?

Got pics?

Paul

Yes, bending as the bolts twist. They are awkward to get a good bite on with a ratchet / box end wrench. Most of them were probably tossed when new.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
20200211_213240_zpscytz9g2n.jpg
[/URL]

It's a square nut welded to the top of each strap.

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have those intact on the '67 I bought from the original owner. Even here in CA where things don't rust out, a couple of mine have twisted up due to torque. They are fairly flimsy.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Soak them good with penetrating oil. I’ve had them on a couple of mine. Saves you from having to use 2 wrenches.

triracer67

Contributor
Treat them like any other nut and put a wrench on them, after a good soaking(as mentioned above). They will also wrinkle up when reinstalling if you don’t use a wrench. They are neat original items that don’t get seen much.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Have a 66 that the roof has never been off. It has brackets in front, above the windshield that tie the bolts together. If you start pulling to hard to remove the bolts it starts to bend the brackets and I want to save them from getting mangled. Heating them with a torch is not an option as paint is nice and original.

Yeah don't mess up the paint if you can help it