• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NEW BRONCOS

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
I would buy one if I could. Not the sport. My budget & Ford's availabilty keep that from happening. I wouldn't sell mine, but would add the new one to the herd.

At this point I'm thinking someday down the road, once the "cabbage patch kid" effect is over & used prices are more affordable.

As for your friend, it sounds like a pretty good choice in his situation. Something new & easier to drive, but still keeping him in a Bronco.

There is value in keeping a guy, as he gets old & sick, feeling as much like himself as possible. We lose a lot of what we see ourselves as when we go downhill physically. Respecting a guy in that situation is important.

My brother describes it as "man feathers". And helping a guy keep his "man feathers". I recently had dinner with an old family friend. Always a tough guy. Not a big guy, but someone who you wouldn't want to mess with. He has lung cancer. He is probably half his normal weight. He looked so weak & frail. I'm in my early 60s & he's in his late 70s.

At some point he excused himself to go outside for a smoke. His wife gave him a crossways glance. I leaned in, looked him hard in the eye, & said firmly "I don't think I could stop you if I tried". You could see his old tough look come back over his face. His shoulders squared up. He said something like "you just try it". And he went out & had his smoke. Walking tall with a little more determination.

That moment didn't change his health, but you could see his old self come thru a little when I ruffled his "man feathers". I think things that remind us of who we are can help us during those tough times. Driving a new Bronco might do that for your friend. You know him & would know best if it would be good for him.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
WELL I HAVE ALREADY TOLD HIM .. He has my approval to sell his 66 & move up to the new Bronco.
But I'm thinking he'll never sell the 66 But save it for one of his grand kids.
Which I believe is a bad Idea .. Because I don't think the kids will like it overall.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Don't know about others but I love mine. I've got a '66 and it's great but for modern transportation I really enjoy the '22. Best wishes to your buddy.

I've rode in a couple and damn sure want one myself

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
WELL I HAVE ALREADY TOLD HIM .. He has my approval to sell his 66 & move up to the new Bronco.
But I'm thinking he'll never sell the 66 But save it for one of his grand kids.
Which I believe is a bad Idea .. Because I don't think the kids will like it overall.

keep the 66 and save save for the new one don't want to have the "one" that got away :)

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
What's odd to me, is that my '77 drives better than my '22. Go figure. The '77 is smoother on the road, tracks just as well and the rumble out of the exhaust is nicer. After market eats are just as comfortable and I like the aftermarket steering wheel in my '77 better. Perhaps I need to take my rose colored glasses off.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
What's odd to me, is that my '77 drives better than my '22. Go figure. The '77 is smoother on the road, tracks just as well and the rumble out of the exhaust is nicer. After market eats are just as comfortable and I like the aftermarket steering wheel in my '77 better. Perhaps I need to take my rose colored glasses off.
All of my early broncos are much quieter as far as road noise and wind noise. Only my 66' half cab rides better though. The a/c, heat, windshield wipers and radio work much much better in the 22' than any of my early ones by far :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

never have got mine that far up to par, so my 76 would be alot rougher. lol I want one like that tho, cruise the roads more, get them waves :)

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been decent rigs so far, I've seen them come in for a few small nit-pick issues but nothing major so far. It's been mentioned that buying a new one might be tough but the good news is the prices on used ones seem to be coming down a bit, if it's just him I'd go for a two door with the four cylinder and manual transmission if he doesn't mind a stick, even with an automatic the four cylinder is still plenty of power IMHO. If you find a used one feel free to PM me the vin# and I can run it through Ford to see what the warranty repair history is on it.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I can vouch that the four cylinder is just fine even with an auto. We have it in my wifes 4door black diamond with 2" lift and 35s and it does just fine and still has plenty of get up and go when you need it. I really enjoy driving that truck.

I have the 2.7 in my 2 door and it is quick and has been overall solid, I do have the strange wiper issue that some of the late 22 early 23s have. I love the look of the two door and there is no doubt it would be better off road, and is a blast to drive on the road, but the 4 door is certainly more practical, the rear doors make it truly a 4 person vehicle and the larger rear storage area is so much more useful for hauling just about anything. The longer wheelbase is also a little smoother on the road.

My biggest complaint so far about the 2door is how small the dam gas tank is! :mad:I have to fill it at least two times a week I am averaging maybe 17mpg:(. But I think it is loser to 16mpg most of the time. I have heard stories of people getting over 20MPG and I just dont see how you could unless you drive 55 and never step on the gas hard!

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Been decent rigs so far, I've seen them come in for a few small nit-pick issues but nothing major so far. It's been mentioned that buying a new one might be tough but the good news is the prices on used ones seem to be coming down a bit, if it's just him I'd go for a two door with the four cylinder and manual transmission if he doesn't mind a stick, even with an automatic the four cylinder is still plenty of power IMHO. If you find a used one feel free to PM me the vin# and I can run it through Ford to see what the warranty repair history is on it.
OK THANKS ...NO he has wife & 4 grand kids . He'd rather have the 2 door But says he'll have to go with the 4 door for the Kids ..
& He''ll certainly want an Automatic.
I saw one a few days ago that had a white top & I believe it was Grabber Blue . with 33'' or 35''It's been the prettiest one I've seen yet.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK THANKS ...NO he has wife & 4 grand kids . He'd rather have the 2 door But says he'll have to go with the 4 door for the Kids ..
& He''ll certainly want an Automatic.
I saw one a few days ago that had a white top & I believe it was Grabber Blue . with 33'' or 35''It's been the prettiest one I've seen yet.
Tell him that real Bronco's only have two doors and see what he says.:p

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I sure wanted one I sawdownin lower Old Mexico about 30 years ago ... It had 6 hole 16 inch rims & 3 doors
SEEMED LIKE 2 on driver side & one on PASSENGER side.
But I was told only in old mexico.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I sure wanted one I sawdownin lower Old Mexico about 30 years ago ... It had 6 hole 16 inch rims & 3 doors
SEEMED LIKE 2 on driver side & one on PASSENGER side.
But I was told only in old mexico.
Don't know about the 6 hole rims but they called them B100's south of the border and they were like the old Suburban's, two doors on the passenger side and only one on the drivers side. 1677972831550.png

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ok B100. ... Glad to see this . I saw one of these over 45 years ago I recon.... & It's had me stumped ever since.
& Sorry to Say it doesn't look exactly like I remembered it .. But while it's a little longer . It's very close to what I say I saw.
But I'm a remembering it to have been the hood like A 1980 UP TO 1986.. BUT i GUESS I'm wrong on that one also..
& I stood there & looked at it for 5 minutes. I thought it was a Bronco but with an extra door length added to it.
But I guess as you said it more like a Suburban.
Thanks for explaining that.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Ok B100. ... Glad to see this . I saw one of these over 45 years ago I recon.... & It's had me stumped ever since.
& Sorry to Say it doesn't look exactly like I remembered it .. But while it's a little longer . It's very close to what I say I saw.
But I'm a remembering it to have been the hood like A 1980 UP TO 1986.. BUT i GUESS I'm wrong on that one also..
& I stood there & looked at it for 5 minutes. I thought it was a Bronco but with an extra door length added to it.
But I guess as you said it more like a Suburban.
Thanks for explaining that.
I found a pic of an 80-86 B100. I've never seen one of any year in person:
6d59363181967a6ccd88e509242a0f21.jpg

And a 75 panel truck version:
1975_ford_b-100-panel_tempimagewryy4g-84312.jpg

Those taillights look out of place.
1975_ford_b-100-panel_tempimagedjnyht-84357.jpg