• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Crab Cage Designs!! Feedback Requested!!

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
97XEB said:
Crab,

Not sure what's up, but I've been trying to get in touch with you for over three weeks now. I left two messages on your 541 number, sent you a PM from this board, filled out the customer inquiry form on your website and still nothing??!! :mad: :mad:

I know you've been trying to lay low during your transition period, and I've been trying to respect that. However, since I haven't heard anything back, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to see you just yesterday write about how you're, pretty caught up on custom orders??!!!! WTFO? :mad: :mad:

Perhaps being blatantly ignored will work to my advantage - if you've got a new, better design, and if there is some type of mass buy, price break I can get in on - real soon. I need a cage by August!!

In terms of feedback on the new family cage design:

• I agree with earlier comments >> It's way too busy.
  • I don't like the horizontal and triangular bars behind the front seats. I know they are perfect for mounting a 5 pt harness, but like SaddleUp stated, it won't work for those of us who have passengers in the back seat and/or who just like to access the back.
  • I don't like the new overhead bars. Your traditional 2 parallel speader bar design was better.
  • I don't like the two triangular bars at the back of the cage that impede cargo space from the tailgate.
  • I do like the 6 pt. cage better than the 8 pt. cage.
  • I do like the extra gussets around the top of the cage.
  • I do like the overhead protection for the rear section of the cage - but again, the old 2 parallel spreader bar design.

Overall, I think your cages are still the best, and I still want your family cage. Please tell me how best to get in touch / work with you so that we can get this moving!

Thanks!

WOW!
I'm sorrry for the contact issues. We have been laying low and I'm a working man with a family. The cages are just for fun and unfortunatly fall just short of priority. I try to answer as many calls as one person can and realize we probably need more help to take care of everyone. I am in the process of getting another web page dedicated to "Crab Gear" and will include order forms ect to help organization. I'll PM you about the rest.............. :-[

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Indianapolis is one of the major transportation/shipping hubs in the USA...but for some reason I was quoted almost $400 (~50% of cost) to ship here a couple of months ago for a welded cage...I am not sure where the $230 to FL and $175 to Nashville are coming from. Whats up with that?? Oh well, keepin' the locals from starving is a good thing, I suppose.

jr

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
Mr Joe said:
I've been looking for a Halfcab setup that

1) allows for the factory glovebox to open
2) permits frame tie-ins with the aux tank installed
3) is at least a six point setup

Would that be workable??

Am interested too.

crab said:
Actulally I can ship a fully tig welded cage to Tallahassee for $230

What about shipping to 96789 Hawaii?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The bar behind the rear seat and the 2 diagonal kickers are there for a reason. Have you ever seen a B pillar buckle in a hard roll? It's scary. If anything, it needs the same diagonal bars mirrored on the upper side of the harness bar. Seat tie-ins are a good thing.

Edge - don't put much faith in a piece of flat stock taking the place of frame tie-ins. Nothing is a substitute for the real thing.

Like I said before, this is the best design yet for a real off-road cage. If you think it's busy, I have a silly theory. We've all become accustomed to seeing the bare bones cages with no triangulation whatsoever, that a properly designed cage looks funny. Guess what? Those bars that make it look 'busy' are what will save your butt (and your family) in a rollover.

Access isn't much of an issue as far as I'm concerned. My daughter is precious cargo, and if anything; I want her completely encapsulated so in the event of a rollover, she hoots and cheers, rather than get hurt due to cheesy design failure. It's all about safety guys. I can't stress that enough.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
trailpsycho said:
Indianapolis is one of the major transportation/shipping hubs in the USA...but for some reason I was quoted almost $400 (~50% of cost) to ship here a couple of months ago for a welded cage...I am not sure where the $230 to FL and $175 to Nashville are coming from. Whats up with that?? Oh well, keepin' the locals from starving is a good thing, I suppose.
I don't know, I just looked it up again and same deal. SAIA ships to Memphis Tn as their closest terminal and a welded cage would be $475 with my 65% discount (little over $1200 W/O). I'm just going by the books??

matt77

Loc.
Southaven, Ms
?Could you reverse the triangle on the family cage and put the middle cross bar along the floor.I figure this can cause a problem with the 5 point harness,so maybe you can come out from the outside far enough to mount the upper part of the seat belt harness and then angle down to allow a walk way threw to the rear with the bar mounted along the floor.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
matt77 said:
?Could you reverse the triangle on the family cage and put the middle cross bar along the floor.I figure this can cause a problem with the 5 point harness,so maybe you can come out from the outside far enough to mount the upper part of the seat belt harness and then angle down to allow a walk way threw to the rear with the bar mounted along the floor.
We are building two of those cages. The other one will be reversed like you are talking about but with hoops hanging down from the center hoop like the pic below. We have also tried to branch off the side of the center hoop like you mentioned. Here are a couple other ways we have mounted the harness set up.

Attachments

• ex cage 2.jpg
    ex cage 2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 177
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 179
  • rcage.jpg
    rcage.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 207

demon357

Loc.
kck
so do you have prices in mind yet for these? I'm definitely interested in the prerunner style. I'd prefer to receive all of the parts -- unwelded. Is that a possibility? If so shoot me an email with a price and turn around time. demon357@yahoo.com

brian72

Early Bronco Student
in new designing has there been thought about the frame tie-ins??

Show pics of that...

matt77

Loc.
Southaven, Ms
?Will the family cage go under a canback top.I notice on one of the pics that it looks like the 5 point harness's are just rapped around the bar or are they mounted to welded tabs?It looks like there is a big demand to get some of the cage's.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
demon357 said:
so do you have prices in mind yet for these? I'm definitely interested in the prerunner style. I'd prefer to receive all of the parts -- unwelded. Is that a possibility? If so shoot me an email with a price and turn around time. demon357@yahoo.com
I will post a price in a new thread but the prerunner cage with no seat kit or or tire mount is going to be $950 right now if you want one. Price may or may not go down a little.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
brian72 said:
in new designing has there been thought about the frame tie-ins??

Show pics of that...
You know......................we have had about 10 sets of tie ins cut and bent ready to assemble on the floor now for nearly a year. So, yes, we have thought about tie ins and they will work on all of our cages as the foot print is the same on all. I will post a mass buy on the tie ins when we get them finished up.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
matt77 said:
?Will the family cage go under a canback top.I notice on one of the pics that it looks like the 5 point harness's are just rapped around the bar or are they mounted to welded tabs?It looks like there is a big demand to get some of the cage's.
Good question. Unfortunatly there aren't enogh of those tops available for me to find out. Not sure how high they sit or anything about them. The cage is higher then the windshield but still fits under a soft top.
The harness mount is sleaved upon request. The pic you saw was just the slack wrapped around the mount.

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
$475 to Memphis but only $175 to Nashville whats up with that? Dang $950, I think I just had a heart attack., I guess I can keep dreaming about a cage. But one day I'll get one...

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
komodo72 said:
$475 to Memphis but only $175 to Nashville whats up with that? Dang $950, I think I just had a heart attack., I guess I can keep dreaming about a cage. But one day I'll get one...
Again, I don't even question the freight co. Those are just the numbers they give me. Feel free to check out shipping another direction. I could deliver to Portland Oregon, but would have to charge $50 as it is about a 200 mile round trip and would cost at least that in fuel alone these days.
As far as the prerunner price. That is the first one we built and the $950 is if you had to have one now. I'm pretty sure there will be a mass buy in the near future with a little better price. :-X

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
More Pics.........

Attachments

• Spyder Crab Cage II.jpg
    Spyder Crab Cage II.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Spyder Crab Cage II.jpg
    Spyder Crab Cage II.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Spyder Crab Cage III.jpg
    Spyder Crab Cage III.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Spyder Crab Cage IV.jpg
    Spyder Crab Cage IV.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 57
  • grab bar.jpg
    grab bar.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 40

Mike C

Loc.
Sacramento, CA
crab said:
You know......................we have had about 10 sets of tie ins cut and bent ready to assemble on the floor now for nearly a year. So, yes, we have thought about tie ins and they will work on all of our cages as the foot print is the same on all. I will post a mass buy on the tie ins when we get them finished up.

I'm in on a tie in kit when they're ready.

john32

crab said:
I'll throw a factory rear seat in there and see what it looks like. I would say if we eliminated the two triangular braces there would be no problem but wouldn't suggest that as it is a major structual brace.

I wouldnt carry rear passengers much but id just like to be able to if i really needed to