• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Engine for a '71 Bronco

bambaataa

Hi all,

I've got a '71 Bronco currently running a 351 Windsor. Unfortunately, I blew a head gasket last week and it looks like I'm going to need to rebuild the entire engine. If the engine turns out to be unsalvageable, I'll be in the market for a new one.

2 questions:
  • Are there any obvious upgrades for a new engine, or is the 351W my best bet? The 351W has gotten strong reviews, but I just wanted to see if there are any others I should be considering.
  • Apart from the age-old debate on carburetor vs. fuel-injected, are there any Bronco-specific reasons why I would want to move over to a fuel-injected engine? Seems like a lot of added complexity to add all of the sensors and other equipment needed for fuel-injected, so unless there are very good reasons, I will probably stick to the carb.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Evan

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Evan,

I'm sorry to answer your question with a question - but, what are your goals and expectations for your Bronco? For example: just tame street driving and focus on MPGs or are you looking for a power house and have no concerns about fuel mileage.

And without knowing any of that, I'm a fan of 351W's.

DJs74

70_Steve

Old Guy
  • Are there any obvious upgrades for a new engine, or is the 351W my best bet? The 351W has gotten strong reviews, but I just wanted to see if there are any others I should be considering.
There's been just about every engine made stuck in a Bronco at one time or another, from flatheads, to Coyote's, to 460's and Cummins 4BT's, and even Chebby's! But the most simple, and still (in my opinion) most effective upgrade is the 351W. You can do just about anything with this engine that you might need, and it's bolt-in simple.

• Apart from the age-old debate on carburetor vs. fuel-injected, are there any Bronco-specific reasons why I would want to move over to a fuel-injected engine? Seems like a lot of added complexity to add all of the sensors and other equipment needed for fuel-injected, so unless there are very good reasons, I will probably stick to the carb.
I have to agree with DJ, and say it all depends on what your expectations are of your Bronco. For me, the decision to go EFI was based on a couple things: Off-road performance, both off-camber and at altitude, and engine performance, including gas mileage.

Last edited:

DJs74

Bronco Guru
There's been just about every engine made stuck in a Bronco at one time or another, from flatheads, to Coyote's, to 460's and Ciummins 4BT's, and even Chebby's! But the most simple, and still (in my opinion) most effective upgrade is the 351W. You can do just about anything with this engine that you might need, and it's bolt-in simple.

I have to agree with DJ, and say it all depends on what your expectations are of your Bronco. For me, the decision to go EFI was based on a couple things: Off-road performance, both off-camber and at altitude, and engine performance, including gas mileage.

Hi Steve!

Hope all is well.

DJ

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Really no other engine any better than a 351w for your Bronco. Hopefully it's not in that bad a shape and a rebuild is all it may need, or just new Head gaskets.

Can also stay carbed as is, or easily converted to EFI with the right parts.

I would not change to a different motor.