• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New gears, new ARB, which gear oil..??

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
gawd.. you'd think I'd find a clear answer in search, but I'm seeing contradictory answers...
Have new 4.10 gears in my 9" rear with a new ARB.. my conventional thinking was dino (non synthetic) gear oil. But what weight?
how many miles should I run it, drain it, refill it with dino or synthetic again?
How many miles before I can call it broke in?

Attachments

• whichoil.jpg
    whichoil.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 25

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Amsoil will run a little cooler, but will seep through a gasket/RTV over time. Standard 80-90 will be great just the same. To work harden the gear and new bearings usually runs in around 350-500 miles through at least 2 good heat cycles.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
80-90 is fine for break in. Do not use synthetic to break in. Initial use should be only a couple miles (literally) under 50 mph. Then let it cool. The dif will get warm. Do a few cycles like this, til you get to about a 15 mile run. No hard accel.

After that, you can drain and replace fluid with whatever floats your boat.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If the diff is getting warm in only a couple miles it is built wrong.
But I like the conventional oil, give it a few months and a few highway trips. Maybe even toss a small trailer on after a while. Get a few thousand miles on it. The magnetic drain (or fill) plug should get a nice little fuzzy beard on it. After that change to the oil of your liking.

I was a 75W140 fan. But the more I get to know gear oil I like the 75W90 better. The 140 is more of a patch for towing with an undersized axle, my thoughts anyway. There should be no reason to boil 90wt in a Bronco. Low speed stuff is so slow you never warm up enough to get into the advantages of the 140.