• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Guy intro, 66 Halfcab used as intended, i.e beat up

DavedL

Loc.
So Cal
Hi all, Looks like a wealth of knowledge on EBs here, glad I ran across it and will try my best to contribute, but will probably be asking questions mostly to start with.

Long story long, sorry...

I got this '66 Halfcab, I6 170, in 1992, from a guy who used it in Idaho for hunting and exploring the logging roads. He had some health issues so moved down here to Southern CA and then sold it to me. The original owners manual had typed in it that it was first sold in Las Vegas, so a western vehicle. Speedo shows 6600 mi, likely turned over once.

I did some upgrades, a later 200ci engine, got a used full top to haul the dog, and bigger tires, but after a couple years using it to explore the local Socal mtns and desert, I realized its limitations for freeway driving, and decided to move it to the family farm in Missouri in 1995, to a covered and dry barn/garage.

It was in it's element out in the country, but only got driven 3-4 times a year mostly in low range on the local logging roads. When we got out there we'd flog it as it was intended for, resulting in many body dings, sliding into to trees on off camber muddy trails and such. We towed the 1939 John Deere many times with the Bronco to get the JD running, instead of pulling that flywheel over manually. The Bronco handled it all. The 22 years it was out there it had gas added, and a couple carburetors and wheel cylinders replaced.

Early this year my Dad sold the MO property. He was out there on a motorhome trip, so I flew out to meet him and tow the Bronco back home to Socal. We got back late last week, and my project begins....

I'm just going through stuff after the many years of no maintenance. It runs OK, put a new brake light switch on today, but need to check all the wheel cylinders. Some nasty mouse nests in the heater/vent boxes so have to disinfect stuff. Change the oil/filter after 20+ years... no shortage of things to do.

Thinking I'll just go slow on the projects, get it mechanically sound and not worry too much about the body stuff right away. Seems kind of cool driving it all beat up, testament that it's been through allot of stuff in it's 51 years, and still going strong.

Some pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/149866346@N03/albums/72157680854731893

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
actually looks pretty good, welcome to the best site on the net

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome. Marlin blue beauty for sure. Cool history and looks like one to just keep on driving and using as is :)

OP
OP
DavedL

DavedL

Loc.
So Cal
A week putzing around on the Bronco, got the headlights, brake lights, parking, turn signals, flashers all working. Mostly corroded grounds causing problems. Rheostat for the dash lights is loosening up the corrosion inside it some, but still intermittent. Any suggestions to clean up the rheo/light switch internals to get them consistent? WD 40 or ?
Also, just a curiosity, but my dash has a hazard switch where it should be, but no flasher indicator light or hole (most I've seen have the indicator light just below the hazard switch). Somewhere I read the Flasher was optional, so maybe someone added it but not the indicator light? Anyone seen this before? Both turn signal indicators in the gauge cluster flash when the hazard switch is pulled... no big deal, just curious.

Mice nests cleared from the vent and heater boxes, nasty stuff, need to hit it with pine sol or something to get rid of the lingering smell. Did I say nasty? Ugh.

Neither R or L rear brakes worked so started in on that. Found brake cylinders seized. Trying to remove the hard lines... they were rusted to the flare nuts and twisted and broke the lines. So bought new lines along with the wheel cylinders, and got in to bending the lines to fit and then do the double flares on the ends. Don't know that I've ever done that before, old dog learning new tricks, that hopefully I'll not have to do again.. for now, one side done, and so am I today.

Did find the rear is the HD/big bearing axle with the 11" drums (didn't show up on the VIN plate so must have been added later). I had put the HD 6 leaf springs in 25 years ago when the old ones were sagging, so guess I can haul a moose now if needed...

Tons of fun working on the old machine :)

Last edited: