• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New hinges won't work

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Okay, I bought these hinges for my 66 Bronco
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-14440-bronco-door-hinges-set-of-four-black.html

They came in the UPS truck. I opened them and painted them to sorta match, removed the old hinges, and installed the new hinges.
And now the door won't close. There is an interference between the door skin and the forward part of the hinge. If I force the door it will crush the door skin forward of the slot where the hinge goes through the door skin.
This is as far as the door will close.
So, what the heck?

Also, this is not a thread to complain about the vendor so please don't even start. Just help me figure out why this hinge doesn't work on this bronco.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 215

Toddml

Curved part should be on the door. Straight part on the body part. If I remember reading correctly, some vendor sell hinges that are interchangable, left or right, you just have to flip the pin. Looks like you have the RH hinges on the LH door. Give it a try.

Todd

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I ate some dinner, went back and had another look.
Looks like the new hinge is thicker metal
Old hinge = .325"
New hinge= .375"

The old hinge had a wider throat partly due to the thinner metal, partly because the new hinge is just built with a narrower opening.

These are great hinges, solid with brass bushings. I love them, but looks like they won't work on this bronco. I'll call tomorrow and see why this hasn't come up before.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 153
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 145
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

4lofun

nice paint though... be interested in their reponse.. TBP are good guys and will help you out for sure

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
nice paint though... be interested in their reponse.. TBP are good guys and will help you out for sure

I just put a rattle can quickie paint job on them, figured theyd get painted right some day in the future with the rest of the vehicle.
Correction, got them at JBG not Toms'

saltyj

Loc.
Weslaco, Tx.
New pics, second one, angle is too far forward on the outside. Did you drop the backing plate by chance?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using my thumbs

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
how much thicker is the material on the new ones?

Old hinge = .325"
New hinge= .375"

But more importantly, the throat opening in the pic is narrower on the new hinge.
new hinge= .825"
old hinge = 1.050"

You can see it in the pic, the throat opening has to be bigger than the distance from the edge of the door skin to the hole in the door where the hinge goes inside the door.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
What kind of gap does it look like you would have on the striker post if the door would close all the way? If there is room, put an 1/8" shim between hinge and hinge post....

Toddml

Man, it has been a long day, I don't know what I was lookin at. :-X You have them on right. You found the issue, good luck.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Three of the hinges on my 68 were thinner like those. They were obviously the stockers. The 4th was coated with what looked like a galvanized coating on it. I don't know if that was a PO replacement or if they just went to thicker ones at the factory and were 3/4 of the way done with my rig when they ran out. When I re-did the hinge pins there was an error in the directions so WH gave me a new/used set of hinges to start over with. All 4 of these are the thicker ones. I had to widen the holes in my doors to get them to fit in side the door, but I didn't try to install the doors yet. Hope I don't have this problem too.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
you should only have to grind the edge of the door down .050 on teh side that lays against the door post half. that is really the only dif that comes into the equation from what i'm seeing. the thickness on the part that goes into the door is on the backside of the mounting surace.
as long as the overall ht is the same (which they look) you should just need to tune the door up to clear the flat half.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
NIx i don't think that will do it. The new hinge is 1/8" narrower on the inside than the old one, and that opening must be larger than the distance from the slot opening in the door to the front edge of the door skin.
It seems like the problem is the hinge is not built with a wide enough opening to possibly work. I'm not going to alter the door.
And since it appears that it would take major alteration or bending to make the new hinges work, this problem needs solved by the vendor. I do not mind making parts fit or work but in this case the "make it fit" solution creates a high probability of ruining the hinges in the process of bending or grinding on them. Not something I need to do to a 150 dollar set of hinges.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Toms has mentioned this issue when selling theirs, I bought them but havent installed them yet. Here is the link to the info...

DoorHingeComparison.jpg

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
that 1/8 is the thickness in the material difference. the door has to clear inbetween it unfortunetly.
why not just grind that edge of the door? it's behind the hinge. it's pretty common to do when you reskin a door.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
that's an interesting pic tito showing the different bend radiuses. you can invision how it will clear the door. both look to be the same thickness material.