• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Intake, Carb, Dist Wont Start

jperry1290

So I installed a new intake and carb last week. The engine fired right up and ran great, but the oil pump shaft fell in the pan so I turned it off after a few secs. Just installed a new shaft replaced the pan gasket and now it wont fire up at all. The engine cranks till the batt dies. Carb seems to be getting fuel all electrical hook up are where they should be. When I pulled the dizzy I marked the shaft and rotor and both went back in on their marks. Could the dizzy be slightly off?

fmcpeters

Did you take off the plug wires? If so double check that you got them back on right about the only thing I can think of it you marked the distributor and dropped it back in on the marks.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

everything is back in. the first time all the wires were removed. when i changed the oil pump shaft i left the wire connected to the cap and set it aside. i made sure the cap was on the right way.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably just out of time. You need to recheck to ensure the engine is back at TDC and the rotor is pointed to the #1 position on the firing order. You may even have it 180 off.

fmcpeters

Did you use the right firing order on the cap? Two different firing orders depending on what 302 you have.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you rotated the engine at all, then do what broncnaz said and re-check for #1 TDC.
It's way too easy to be 180 off, unless the engine was not touched at all while the distributor was out.

In case that's not it, have you verified that you're getting a super hot white snappy spark at the plugs?

Paul

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
If you rotated the engine at all, then do what broncnaz said and re-check for #1 TDC.
It's way too easy to be 180 off, unless the engine was not touched at all while the distributor was out.

In case that's not it, have you verified that you're getting a super hot white snappy spark at the plugs?

Paul

X3. It happens to the best of us;) it's probably 180* off. No bid deal.

OP
OP
jperry1290

jperry1290

Engine was not touched at all. Marks on the dizzy and rotor lined up. I will check spark this weekend

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Engine was not touched at all. Marks on the dizzy and rotor lined up. I will check spark this weekend

Hmm, then I would say that, yes, according to your first question, you could be just far enough off that it won't start.
Usually though, if you've got a decent ignition system, even 10 or 15 degrees off it will still try to fire up. It might not run, but you'll hear it try to catch every once in awhile.
Was it acting like this, or were you getting no indication at all that it wanted to fire up?

Paul

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I have been 1 tooth off , but still getting the marks to line up, and it wouldn't start, or barley start... I just ended up finding tdc again, and re timing it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. I don't think so. But it would depend on the cam. Stock, I'd say no though.

Different type of "timing" though. Just messing with the distributor doesn't change the relationship between the piston crowns and the valves.

Is that what you were asking?

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

You can still be off a bit have you ensured the rotor is algined with the #1 plug wire postion on the cap when the engine is at TDC?

Maverick1701

Loc.
Memphis, TX
Good question. I don't think so. But it would depend on the cam. Stock, I'd say no though.

Different type of "timing" though. Just messing with the distributor doesn't change the relationship between the piston crowns and the valves.

Is that what you were asking?

Paul

yes, thank you sir!
Thanks. I was wondering if you would ding all your valves if the timing got off....but I see what you mean now.