• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New led backup lights not working

jperry1290

I bought some led backup lights from Amazon along with a knockoff brand wiring harness. The harness instructions say to wire both red + wires directly to the +battery post. My in aftermarket in dash switch is a 3 pin wired from top to bottom ground, 12v power, load wire to lights. Ground wires are mounted to the trucks main ground. A few problems I have:

- led switch light stays on 100% of the time I even switched the load and 12v power wires with no change

- I can't get the lights to turn on (inline fuse is still good)

Bad relay?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Without seeing it all in pics (really i'd need to see it person), I'd suggest swapping the two wires on the switch that are the ground. Those lit switches can be a hassle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, test the switch to make sure everything is going where it should.
The ground at the switch is for one function only, and that's to allow the light on the switch to illuminate. Some switches have it lit all the time (so you know where the switch is located in the dark), while others only light up when the switch is closed (to indicate the load is activated). So yours may be working just fine.

What LED backup lights are you talking about? The type that are just bulbs in the old sockets? Or stand-alone lamps?
What aftermarket harness are you talking about? For the headlights, or the backup lamps in question? Or is it a headlight relay kit that you've repurposed for the backup lamps?

Got links to the lights, the switch and the harness?

Whichever way you went, did you make sure that the lamps were grounded at the lamps themselves?
Can you test them independently of the switch by powering them up directly?

Paul