• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new main gas tank/ emission question

KTM2FORD

Loc.
Orange, CA
pulled out my 1970 main fuel cell, before i install the new one, i want to confirm I can do it without using the vapor emissions system. what is the best mod to make sure the tank is safe and not have to use the emissions system? can i just loop a fuel line to the 2 vent tubes on the gas tank?

I plan on not using it since i dont need to smog it and that's one less line in the engin compartment.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
guys have ran the vents up high and put a filter on it that also wont allow gas out in the event you have a rollover. the emissions equip. from the tank are there to return fumes from the tank to be burned which in turn slightly increases fuel mileage and eliminate those fumes from being smelled when parked in a garage. You might rethink eliminating them as they were not a bad smog item.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely. They don't rob any power, they don't need maintenance, and rarely get in the way unless you're totally reconfiguring the Bronco.
If it was mostly missing already, I could see going with other options. But if it's all there still, I'd leave it connected for simplicity and the air you breath.

Funny that your '70 even has it. Be interested in hearing what month yours was built in. Do you have the tank behind the driver's left shoulder too? Charcoal canister under the passenger front fender on the frame? Interesting.

Just like the PCV system. They're both way more help than harm. I can see being annoyed by the two paper/fiber/metal hoses that run up the firewall and one to the air cleaner, but to me that's not a huge deal-breaker for keeping the evap setup.
Otherwise, I don't have any helpful advice since I've never eliminated one. Many people here have done/tried it, but with mixed results. Some worked out well, so maybe they'll chime in.

Good luck either way.

Paul