• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Mexico Bronco Trail Run - Mt. Taylor volcano-**PicturesJune21***

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
We had a little discussion about the proposed trail run on the Mount Taylor volcano while we were standing around with our hands in our pockets at the recent auto show and converged on the third weekend of June (21th or 22th). Two options: (1) A drive mostly along unimproved forest roads up and over 11,200 feet on the north side of the volcano, or (2) a drive on the south side with some crawling and a stop in a mountain meadow for lunch. Both would be suitable for all stages of Broncos. Neither would be fender bashing, just a fun summer outing with scenery and Broncos on New Mexico's second largest young volcano. Anyone interested? I know PonyPower is interested. Who else might come?
This is some of the route. The actual route would be a loop on the left or across the south flank and down. But this kind of shows the setting.

Attachments

• MT_sample.jpg
    MT_sample.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

broncobusted

Sounds fun I was just up there working at the repeater site nice views. I don't know if I can have the horse ready by then still in rough condition. It hasn't been out of burque yet a little rough over fifty lol. I will be looking for details .

Thanks dave

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Count me in. Gotta get to work on the serpentine system so I don't have the same issue I had at the AZ Stampede.

Jim W.

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Make sure whatever you guys work out you take some pictures and video! I wish I was able to make that trip with you. Volcanoes fascinate me... and obviously so do Broncos and the great outdoors!

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I thought that I would toss in a little more information to get people excited and get a feeling for the overall plan.
The Volcano Run would be a nice day trip, taking about 7 hours. There are two options for the run, A and B, as shown on the maps. Both are suitable for beginners and both have good scenery and plenty of places for rest stops. The Run starts in Grants, New Mexico where we would meet up on the Lobo Canyon Road and head towards Mt. Taylor. The pavement ends 8 miles from Grants, and is gravel until the 4Hi part of Loop A or the start of loop B.
Grants is about 70 miles from Albuquerque, west on I-40. It is about 14 to 15 miles from Grants to the beginning of the Option A Loop, which is 16.5 miles long and tops out at about 11,000 feet. Then it would be 14 to 15 miles back to Grants.
I have not measured it, but Option B , which tops out at about 9,500 feet, is probably about 30 miles long and ends at Route 66 maybe 15 miles east of Grants. Where it ends at Route 66, it is an easy drive to I-40 or back to Grants. Or you can take 66 halfway back to Albuquerque like I sometimes do.
Fun, short day with plenty of Early Bronco off road adventure.

Attachments

• over_view.jpg
    over_view.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 51
  • MT_Trail.jpg
    MT_Trail.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 57
  • MountTaylor_3m_contour.jpg
    MountTaylor_3m_contour.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 53

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I would want to trailer mine to some point but don't know where a good place to stage would be.

Jim W.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Forgot a couple of sample pictures.
First one is at Stop 1, Option A loop where we lock 'em in. Second one is at 10,000, in this case where they roads don't go. Here we crawled, sliced and diced our way through the spruce trees and popped out in a beautiful meadow with awesome views. No tracks or roads in sight. %)

Attachments

• SpudPatch Canyon copy.jpg
    SpudPatch Canyon copy.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 76_MT.jpg
    76_MT.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Jim,
If we did Option A, you could stage from Grants at the beginning of the Lobo Canyon road. There is a little shopping center there that would work fine. For Option B, you could do the same or leave the trailer at the point where the trail meets back up with route 66. Rural road. The cowboys do that all the time. Don't see why you couldn't do that too.
P.S./Edit: Or for either option, you could stage from the end of pavement on the Lobo Canyon road, and with Option B, just shorten the trip and drive back to the staging point by going west instead of east across the south flank of the volcano. In fact, that could be an option C for everybody. Makes for a shorter day and more time on the crawl for Option B. All sorts of possibilities.

Last edited:

Ly-mo

I wish I had been on this website when I still lived in NM! Have fun guys!

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Good to know, was a little worried about leaving it un-attended. I'm open to any option but of course the more challenging the better. Would like to go to the top even though it doesn't appear to be as tough as option B. Is the 4lo rating due to some actual crawling or because it's a rough road?

Time to go get a P/S pulley puller to get the serpentine system put on.

Jim W.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Any of you local guys want to help diagnose my beast's issues? I know she's running rich, but this tapping sounds like more than an exhaust leak. Quite disheartening actually and makes me think I may not have a driver for the trip.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Chief Master Sergeant, if you have not tried it, you can eliminate an exhaust leak real quick by attaching a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust and and going around with a length of heater hose listening for leaks. I found a good one that way on the header collector on the 76 recently.

Yes, the wife says we should just do the summit loop (Option A) this time and save the other option(s) for later. The 4Lo parts are mainly just rough roads, steep sections, where control is more important than speed. Some vehicles just need the extra rpms too because of the high elevations.

Jim, with the summit loop you could just stage from the end of pavement. There is a big dirt area there were the snow mobilers and other such part their trailers.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hmm might have to plan a trip to visit my friends in grants on that weekend and drive the bronco up.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
needabronco, that would be great. Otherwise, so far we only have a handful.
bronconaz, we would certainly like to see you there. Globe, to Show Low and Springerville, hang a left at Quemado, NM, and hook up with NM117 and cruise into Grants. One of the greatest highway drives in the world IMO. Volcanoes along most of the way, too. Did it many times myself coming up from Tucson.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
I took that route to Show Lo to get my 4bt, fantastic views, little sketchy on the roads though. One of those forgotten hiways out here in the west.

Jim W.